300 wsm or 7mm STW???

I am not a fan of of the stw just because the brass seems tough to get. It is to overbore, and barrel life is not as good as I would want. And doing a custom I would not leave it at I would only shoot 300-600 yards. Those to me are the thoughts of someone getting going which is great. But when 600 is easy you keep moving out further and further. On the other side I am not a big fan of a short action 300 wsm either. I have seen the magazine restrict everything that I wanted to do. So accuracy suffered because you either single shot or seat them where they have to be and not where the gun would like the bullets to be. I know you limited it to just these two but I would do in a custom a 7-300win, or in a factory just the standard 300 win.

I am not a fan of of the stw just because the brass seems tough to get. It is to overbore, and barrel life is not as good as I would want. And doing a custom I would not leave it at I would only shoot 300-600 yards. Those to me are the thoughts of someone getting going which is great. But when 600 is easy you keep moving out further and further. On the other side I am not a big fan of a short action 300 wsm either. I have seen the magazine restrict everything that I wanted to do. So accuracy suffered because you either single shot or seat them where they have to be and not where the gun would like the bullets to be. I know you limited it to just these two but I would do in a custom a 7-300win, or in a factory just the standard 300 win.
We have a member who got over 1,500 documented rounds out of his 7mm STW when he sold it, and said it was still shooting around 1-1½ MOA when he got rid of it with 1,500 rounds down the tube. He's known to be a very legit and truthful person, too. I have around 750 down the tube of mine, and she'll still pinwheel 3 rounds into 1 ragged hole with the right load and weather conditions, provided I do my part.

Yes "7mm STW" brass is tough to find right now. And yes, it's usually expensive. HOWEVER, you can go to Midway USA and buy 8mm RemMag Nosler brass all day long. It's cheaper than STW brass, and all you have to do is run it through a 7mm STW FL sizing die one time. Then you have STW brass. :cool:

7mm-300 WM is an excellent caliber. I would like to have one someday to add to my 7mm collection.

Well... all the usual suspects and all their favorite cartridges :) And to join in the fun, I would go with the 300 WSM... surprise :rolleyes: The 215 Hybrid would probably be my first choice of bullet.

Let's look at the two cartridges objectively.

7 STW 92.7 gr H2O capacity
300 WSM 79.3 gr H2O capacity

The STW has about 12% or so more capacity than the WSM. What does that mean?

It can shoot a 180 bullet faster than a 300 WSM can shoot a 215 bullet.

Recoil is going to be very close. Things that affect recoil are weight of rifle, weight of bullet, charge of powder and muzzle velocity. In the case of the STW, it's greater powder charge and MV are going to drive up recoil and with the WSM, the bullet weight is going to drive it up. I don't think you would be able to tell the difference if you were to shoot them blindfolded.

Barrel life definitely goes to the WSM. Less powder through a larger hole and lower MV.

Range.... the STW will have greater range than the WSM... but both are more then adequate to well past 400 yds.

Terminal ballistics... IMO, a toss up to the ranges you are talking about. The STW will hit with greater velocity, but the WSM will deliver a larger cal bullet with more mass to the target. With frangible bullets like the Bergers, more mass and less velocity is a good thing. You might have issues at close range and high velocity with frangible bullets.

The STW is going to favor a slower burning powder due to it's larger case and small cal., therefore it will need a longer barrel than the WSM for efficiency.

I like the WSM because it will deliver a bigger bullet at a good velocity and it will have better barrel life and I can use a shorter barrel.

The 300 WSM likes RL17 and I have shot 210 VLD's out of my 24 3/8" barrel @ 2930 over RL17. If you prefer a powder like H4350 or 4831sc you should easily get 2800 plus with 215's in say a 26" barrel. In a 25" barrel, I would think you easily get 2950 plus with 215's.

I agree, that you should go with AT LEAST a magnum sporter contour, and no fluting, for stiffness.

Well... all the usual suspects and all their favorite cartridges :) And to join in the fun, I would go with the 300 WSM... surprise :rolleyes: The 215 Hybrid would probably be my first choice of bullet.

Let's look at the two cartridges objectively.

7 STW 92.7 gr H2O capacity
300 WSM 79.3 gr H2O capacity

The STW has about 12% or so more capacity than the WSM. What does that mean?

It can shoot a 180 bullet faster than a 300 WSM can shoot a 215 bullet.

Recoil is going to be very close. Things that affect recoil are weight of rifle, weight of bullet, charge of powder and muzzle velocity. In the case of the STW, it's greater powder charge and MV are going to drive up recoil and with the WSM, the bullet weight is going to drive it up. I don't think you would be able to tell the difference if you were to shoot them blindfolded.

Barrel life definitely goes to the WSM. Less powder through a larger hole and lower MV.

Range.... the STW will have greater range than the WSM... but both are more then adequate to well past 400 yds.

Terminal ballistics... IMO, a toss up to the ranges you are talking about. The STW will hit with greater velocity, but the WSM will deliver a larger cal bullet with more mass to the target. With frangible bullets like the Bergers, more mass and less velocity is a good thing. You might have issues at close range and high velocity with frangible bullets.

The STW is going to favor a slower burning powder due to it's larger case and small cal., therefore it will need a longer barrel than the WSM for efficiency.

I like the WSM because it will deliver a bigger bullet at a good velocity and it will have better barrel life and I can use a shorter barrel.

The 300 WSM likes RL17 and I have shot 210 VLD's out of my 24 3/8" barrel @ 2930 over RL17. If you prefer a powder like H4350 or 4831sc you should easily get 2800 plus with 215's in say a 26" barrel. In a 25" barrel, I would think you easily get 2950 plus with 215's.

I agree, that you should go with AT LEAST a magnum sporter contour, and no fluting, for stiffness.
There you go with your facts again Mark... :D

Atleast we're keeping it a civil conversation this time...Gotta give us credit for that.

I think he should also look at the 7 WSM vs 30 WSM to compare more apples to apples if he plans on shooting 600 & under.

There you go with your facts again Mark... :D

Atleast we're keeping it a civil conversation this time...Gotta give us credit for that.

I think he should also look at the 7 WSM vs 30 WSM to compare more apples to apples if he plans on shooting 600 & under.

Yeah, I think if the OP want's a 7, the WSM would be a better choice based on his stated ranges. It would have a little better barrel life than the STW. And it doesn't have that nasty belt thing :cool::D

On the other side I am not a big fan of a short action 300 wsm either. I have seen the magazine restrict everything that I wanted to do. So accuracy suffered because you either single shot or seat them where they have to be and not where the gun would like the bullets to be. I know you limited it to just these two but I would do in a custom a 7-300win, or in a factory just the standard 300 win.

Good point. I would not recommend a short action WSM. Been there done that and won't do it again. For average hunting and using shoreter bullets it's fine, but for using longer higher BC bullets for LR work i would only use a long action. And in fact just built a 6.5 WSM on a standard Vanguard action.

The 7-300 WM is just slightly smaller than the STW and will not have much better expected barrel life.

Yeah, I think if the OP want's a 7, the WSM would be a better choice based on his stated ranges. It would have a little better barrel life than the STW. And it doesn't have that nasty belt thing :cool::D
Hey now...Don't be hatin on my belts... I can't help how these cartridges were designed way back in the day. :D

Belts don't bother me. Some of my best shooting rifles have them. But I could care less. I can take them or leave them. They make zero difference to me. I load either the same.

Jeff

Belts don't bother me. Some of my best shooting rifles have them. But I could care less. I can take them or leave them. They make zero difference to me. I load either the same.

Jeff

Exactly belts don't cause a lot of problems like stated. If they did then nobody would chase the 7mm mag or any belted cartridge. If the belt is the problem throw the brass away and start over, because usually it is at the end of its life.

I am not stating the 7-300 is way better in barrel life but it is not worse neither.

Not trying to hijack a thread I was only stating him wanting information, some like calibers that would do what he wants just less hassle. I cannot say which one of those two I would take. But if you said choose one. And it was a good 7stw and a short action wsm. Give me the stw, because 600 yards is easy to outgrow. Both would do whatever all day but I would take the stw. Personally.

Exactly belts don't cause a lot of problems like stated. If they did then nobody would chase the 7mm mag or any belted cartridge. If the belt is the problem throw the brass away and start over, because usually it is at the end of its life.

I am not stating the 7-300 is way better in barrel life but it is not worse neither.

Not trying to hijack a thread I was only stating him wanting information, some like calibers that would do what he wants just less hassle. I cannot say which one of those two I would take. But if you said choose one. And it was a good 7stw and a short action wsm. Give me the stw, because 600 yards is easy to outgrow. Both would do whatever all day but I would take the stw. Personally.

Who said belts caused problems? Never said any such thing. I just don't like them because they serve no useful purpose at all and I like a nice clean case wall.

I will say that belt or no belt, it doesn't affect accuracy. One thing I HAVE noticed is that I read a lot more about case head separation in relation to belted cartridges vs non belted. Maybe that's because handloaders don't use the right technique for head spacing and/or chambers are not properly headspaced? Don't know.

I will say that in considering the WSM, Dakota, Win Mag or RUM, the Win Mag would be fourth on MY list because of the belt and I like the 404 Jeff based cartridges.

Now if someone asks me, "I am looking for XYZ in a rifle, will the 300 WM work?" and the WM fits the requirements, I'll say sure, it will work. Nothing against the belted cartridges except I don't care for them and I think there are more "efficient" cases out there.

Great info guys I appreciate it...my main concern is rifle weight, I want something much lighter than my 300 RUM to carry....I got to have a fluted barrel because I think that look so cool and I have never had one! I am not completely sold on the calibers I listed but they do interest me and if I am going custom I need to decide soon so I can get in line for a build.

Great info guys I appreciate it...my main concern is rifle weight, I want something much lighter than my 300 RUM to carry....I got to have a fluted barrel because I think that look so cool and I have never had one! I am not completely sold on the calibers I listed but they do interest me and if I am going custom I need to decide soon so I can get in line for a build.
Go and visit our 7mm STW subforum.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f126/

Well... ya gots to pick your priority's... light weight, cool or accurate. You might get lucky and get all 3... but not likely... but hey, it's your $$$, you spend it on what you want.

Because light weight is a primary concern I would go with the .300WSM on a short action. For the ranges you are talking about a 180 grain bullet will work and you can have your barrel throated for a magazine length load. Though not one of your choices the 7WSM has some merit too.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.