300 wsm or 7mm STW???

fish slapper

I know there are allot of rifles to do what I want but of the 2 which one would you recommend to shoot 180 or 200 grain pills at elk I want to concentrate on 400 yards or less but practice out to 600 yards and I want to still have plenty of energy when it gets there. I want a rifle as light as I can get it and I will use Swarovski scope with a turret and I will most like have a custom rifle built but I would be interested in a production rifle like Cooper or something possibly.

As far as I know no one makes a 200gr 7mm Bullet. That said, you don't need one to kill an elk.

Between the two I would go for the 7mm STW, but then I keep going for 7mm STW's again, and again, and again, in spite of also owning multiple 300wm's and 300 Rums.

At the ranges you are talking about the STW will be extremely flat shooting and hit with all the power you could want.

As far as I know no one makes a 200gr 7mm Bullet. That said, you don't need one to kill an elk.

Between the two I would go for the 7mm STW, but then I keep going for 7mm STW's again, and again, and again, in spite of also owning multiple 300wm's and 300 Rums.

At the ranges you are talking about the STW will be extremely flat shooting and hit with all the power you could want.

Thank you..sorry for the confusion the 200 gr is what I would want to shoot in the wsm.

There is no bad choice for the criteria you set up. Look at what appeals to you and if you ever feel you will be buying factory ammo. If so the 300 will be more available.

The only other thing to consider is the 300 will have noticeably longer barrel life.

There will be little difference at 600 yards, but for me the choice would be the 300 just maybe now a short mag. Nothing wrong with the WSM, it just may not handle the heaviest high BC bullets like a 230 as well as a 300 win mag.

I do what you are wanting to all the time and I shoot a 300 win with a 215 Berger at 3035 fps. It is a great combination for me. It will and has killed many elk close to and just beyond 1000. Piles of elk the last two years between 500 and 800 all one and done.

Jeff

Either caliber you are looking at has much more potential than 600 yards. I would vote for the 300 wsm, longer barrel life, cheaper ammo, cheaper brass, less to load for, less recoil...

really all depends on if you dont mind the stronger recoil or not. If you can handle the recoil with out complaint then id go 7mm STW and hit with some major fire power!:D also will shoot flatter than the 300 wsm. I do beleive though that the 300 wsm will be my next build just because im not a fan of recoil.

Recoil is not a significant problem with the STW. I'd rather shoot my STW's all day every day over the 300's just because of the lower recoil.

Of course with a decent muzzle brake and a rifle that's not a featherweight neither is a problem.

Recoil is not a significant problem with the STW. I'd rather shoot my STW's all day every day over the 300's just because of the lower recoil.

Of course with a decent muzzle brake and a rifle that's not a featherweight neither is a problem.

I had planned on a muzzle brake since I am looking for a feather weight rifle...I put one on my 300 RUM and it made that thing recoil like a 270 but its a 11 lb rifle.I am looking for under 8lbs scope and all if possible

would like to add I am looking for a multi use rifle for elk, antelope and mule deer as well.... I have allot of factory rifles that will do the job but want a real nice, lightweight, long range (to me) tack driver, heavy hitter

I had planned on a muzzle brake since I am looking for a feather weight rifle...I put one on my 300 RUM and it made that thing recoil like a 270 but its a 11 lb rifle.I am looking for under 8lbs scope and all if possible
Be careful not to go too light or you are going to have issues with long range shooting. Out to 300-400yds, not such a big deal but when you start stretching it out whippy, thin barrels just don't cut it. You want to keep with at least a magnum sporter weight barrel or heavier.

I'd opt for a heavier barrel and lightweight McMillian or Precision Stock Works stock vs lighter barrel and heavier stock.

A longer and heavier barrel is easier to control and allows you to maximize case capacity.

Be careful not to go too light or you are going to have issues with long range shooting. Out to 300-400yds, not such a big deal but when you start stretching it out whippy, thin barrels just don't cut it. You want to keep with at least a magnum sporter weight barrel or heavier.

I'd opt for a heavier barrel and lightweight McMillian or Precision Stock Works stock vs lighter barrel and heavier stock.

A longer and heavier barrel is easier to control and allows you to maximize case capacity.

what do you suggest? I am certainly pen to suggestions...for what a custom rifle cost I want to get it as close to right as possible

FYI..I have been looking at #4 contour barrel with flutes
I would look to at least the #5, preferably #6.

Contour Chart

With the lightweight stocks I suggested you can still meet your 8lbs goal pretty easily depending on what scope you choose.

I've got a McMillan hunter here they sent me just to get the feel of which has their lightweight fill and it feels like waving a fly swatter around. The PSW's with the same fill will be the same.

really all depends on if you dont mind the stronger recoil or not. If you can handle the recoil with out complaint then id go 7mm STW and hit with some major fire power!:D also will shoot flatter than the 300 wsm. I do beleive though that the 300 wsm will be my next build just because im not a fan of recoil.
If you can handle the recoil??? I have an un-braked 7mm STW and it kicks less than my buddy's .300 WinMag. It kicks less than my old Ruger 77 skeleton/stainless 7mm RM.

I say go 7mm STW with the 180's. It has potential out WAY past 1,000 yards. Both are good calibers, but I am admittedly partial to the 7mm STW.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.