300 Ruger compact magnum or 7mm STW

Hello I am interested in geting a custom rifle and wanted to get some input on these two calibers and which one I should go with? I am mainly going to be deer hunting but I also will be doing some long range shooting and elk hunting. Please help me out and I'm gald for any input.gun)

I can vouch for the STW. I had one made about 7 years ago and really don't hunt with anything else anymore. I use it mainly for deer and elk. It is potent and accurate. It does shoot the 168 Bergers fairly accurate, but the chamber is cut too long to really hunt with them (won't fit in the magazine). I shoot a 150 gr. TSX at 3400 fps and it does great. I have made a half-dozen one-shot kills at 500 to 800 yards with it.

I don't have a 300 Ruger, but I do have a Tikka 300 WSM. It is also extremely accurate, but I just like the zip of the STW better. The 300 Ruger could be made into a shorter/lighter rifle though, which is nice.

Either will certainly do. With all of the new short magnums the .300 RCM seems to be falling to the side though and being left behind so getting ammunition could certainly be an issue in the future.

The 7mm STW made a big splash when it first came out, but it too sort of fell by the wayside for a decade or so, but has made a resurgance in the last few years whith quite a few rifles being produced in the caliber by remington particularly as well as some of the other major manufacturers.

I think the 7mm STW is back to stay so future availability of ammo is likely to be good.

If I were in your shoes with the same needs (which I am) I'd go either with the STW or 300 Rum; and I own one of each.

Of course you also should consider the 300wm and look to the 300wsm if you want to go with a short action. Both of those calibers are going to be around for a very, very long time.

For deer sized game and larger my 300 Rum is by far my favorite, but I absolutely love the 7mm STW for deer, hogs, coyotes etc and would not hesitate for a second to use it on an Elk Hunt.

+1 for the STW. I got one a few months back and hunted with it this year. Using 140 grain Accubonds running 3,173, my rifle is holding 1/2 moa out to 800 yards. I can tell you it smacked the heck out of a deer at 558 yards. I'm pretty much sold on the caliber.

I'm likely to stay with the stw but if I do any elk hunting thought I might want a heavier bullet or lighter rifle. I do not hand load if taht helps'
You certainly aren't undergunned with the STW when Elk Hunting.

I have a very good friend who killed at least one elk a year for over 25 years shooting a 7 Rem Mag and he never backed away from even an 800yds shot.

Who makes good brass for the STW. If there isn't any, can I fire form using, say norma 300 wby brass?

I was thinking about re-tubing my 7mm rem mag to either somthing more docile like a 7mm saum or going full bore with a STW or RUM. Brass quality is a big stickler for me!!!

Who makes good brass for the STW. If there isn't any, can I fire form using, say norma 300 wby brass?

I was thinking about re-tubing my 7mm rem mag to either somthing more docile like a 7mm saum or going full bore with a STW or RUM. Brass quality is a big stickler for me!!!
I haven't bought brass in a long time but Remington brass always worked well for me.

There are a half dozen or more manufacturers now making good quality 7mm STW factory loads as well and you can always get someone like Conley Precision to custom load for you if you don't want the hassle of doing it yourself.

+STW / +300 RUM. I have a few remington 700 cdl 300 RUMs i will be selling here shortly so if your interested let me know. Both are brand new never fired just brought them home and locked em up.

7mm STW is an amazing caliber though. My father and i both have one and love them.

As far as brass goes we shoot remington through our STWs and havent had any issues.

Good luck

Remington, Winchester and Nosler are three mfg's that come to mind quickly that offer 7mm STW brass. I don't see availability of brass being any problem whatsoever. I believe the parent case for the 7mm STW is the 8mm Rem Mag - so you could use that brass to fireform what you need as well.

Remington, Winchester and Nosler are three mfg's that come to mind quickly that offer 7mm STW brass. I don't see availability of brass being any problem whatsoever. I believe the parent case for the 7mm STW is the 8mm Rem Mag - so you could use that brass to fireform what you need as well.
Good point. Nosler makes great brass.

Between the 300 RCM and the 7mm STW I'd go STW hands down. I don't see the Ruger as having the staying power of the STW, plus the STW is capable of stellar accuracy. I've got three STW's and all three are superbly accurate. One Savage, one Winchester 70 and one custom with a Hart barrel. The custom has a 28" barrel and I'm shooting 168 gr VLD's at 3200 fps with a safe load.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.