300 wsm or 7mm STW???

I really like the 300 WSM case. It is really accurate and easy to get shooting. Has enough case to easily go to 1000 yards with a 200 to 215 Berger. I would buil it in a long action for ease of getting the bullet out to the rifling and unloading live rounds. The barrel life is unbelievable with a WSM. I shoot 1000 yard benchrest and shoot 210 Bergers about 15 thous. in the rifling. In a years worth of shooting the throat doesn't move more then a couple of thous. I used to shoot the Weatherby sized cases and the throat would move 25 thousandth or more a season. That is a big difference in barrel wear. The 300 WSM holds a lot of the records in Benchrest at 1000 yards, including the 10 shot heavy gun record of 2.815 inches that I shot. I believe you can use H4831 and a 215 Berger and reach 2900 to 2950. The Norma brass is built like a tank and lasts forever with annealing. The 300 WSM and 6 Dasher dominate the 1000 yard benchrest game. If I was to build a 7mm it would be a 284 Shehane or 7lrm. Matt

I really like the 300 WSM case. It is really accurate and easy to get shooting. Has enough case to easily go to 1000 yards with a 200 to 215 Berger. I would buil it in a long action for ease of getting the bullet out to the rifling and unloading live rounds. The barrel life is unbelievable with a WSM. I shoot 1000 yard benchrest and shoot 210 Bergers about 15 thous. in the rifling. In a years worth of shooting the throat doesn't move more then a couple of thous. I used to shoot the Weatherby sized cases and the throat would move 25 thousandth or more a season. That is a big difference in barrel wear. The 300 WSM holds a lot of the records in Benchrest at 1000 yards, including the 10 shot heavy gun record of 2.815 inches that I shot. I believe you can use H4831 and a 215 Berger and reach 2900 to 2950. The Norma brass is built like a tank and lasts forever with annealing. The 300 WSM and 6 Dasher dominate the 1000 yard benchrest game. If I was to build a 7mm it would be a 284 Shehane or 7lrm. Matt
With the advent of meloniting barrels unless someone is doing a tremendous amount of high volume shooting throat erosion concerns are not what they used to be.

Just don't shoot it hot and that concern can be all but eliminated in the equation of caliber selection.

The WSM cases are however very efficient.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.