300 win mag with Berger bullets

Depends on your goal. <600yds I use the 168gr VLD Hunter...I have limited action length so anything longer has to be fed single shot.

From what I seen/read from this site if you want to shoot 1,000yds+ 215gr...I think it is a match/target bullet but is used regularly on Elk size animals.

That's what you have to figure out. Not being smart but each rifle is different and Berger makes about 29 different bullets that will work in the .300WinMag with a 1-10" twist.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/products/all-bullets/

Here's a link to their website with the categories of bullets. They started out as a target bullet company and drifted over in to hunting and tactical bullets. The bullets with secant ogives can be tricky in finding accuracy but once you find the correct seating depth for your chamber, it's Katy bar the door!
I think that is why they developed the Hybrid bullets, which have a tangent and secant ogive merged.

Check out their website under "Information / Tech Talk / VLD - Making it Shoot" and it will explain the process of getting the most from their bullets.

Good luck, hope you enjoy. JohnnyK.

I have a load for the 215 Berger. Shoots very well. It is able to be mag fed with them seated long.

Another rifle is a Ruger and the mag box is shorter so must be single fed if I want to maximize the velocity potential with the 215. That said, it shoots the 210 gr HVLD very well from the mag. The 215 didn't shoot as well from the mag length.

As stated. Your rifle will like what it likes...That's part of the fun...agony of this whole thing.

Shane: I don't think you would loose enough velocity to worry about your current setup. Have you tried seating shorter to fit and feed from magazine?

You should be able to get your LA Ruger's mag box lengthened. I had my gunsmith do my LA tang safety M77 for me. New length is 3.350"

Seating a hybrid to fit and feed will work even with extreme jump to lands. I loaded some 230 Berger match target hybrids for my friend's 300 WSM. OAL had to fit a 2.8" Browning A-bolt. I posted that pic here several years ago. we joked that the bottom of the bullet was sitting on the flash hole. Ogive WAS close to neck but it still got 2735 fps from a 21" barrel with a BOSS using RL-17. IIRC the jump was .156"

I had a 6mm-284 that was setup to feed from a SA Rem magazine. Jump to lands for the 105 hybrid was .065"" it still shot bugholes.

I use the 210 gr hunting VLD
I used to run the 210gr VLD but switched to the 215gr Hybrid when it came out.
I run H1000 or RE25.
I am currently testing RETUMBO with a chamber that headspaces off the shoulder and is long throated for these bullets, the 300WM definitely shines with a longer throat and Hybrids.

Cheers.
:)

Best accuracy I've found for the 300WM is H1000 and the 215 Berger Hybrid. Use good quality brass or you'll wish you had. So easy to find accuracy and seating depth. Never seen an animal move after being hit by this load. Broz has been telling us of the virtues of this combo for several years.

Another vote for the 215s and H1000. Very accurate, very jump tolerant and great on game. This combination is all I use in 2 300s .

I am using the the Berger 215 hybrid with h 1000 75.5 grs with Nosler brass seated .010 off the lands what are some loads that are being used and what kind of group are you getting?

I use 76 grains of H1000 in Norma brass with 215s in my 24" WM and get 2800 fps. I have to seat the bullets .045" off the lands due to the mag length, but hybrids are very jump tolerant and shoot tiny groups in this rifle.

I'm just starting development on a 26" with very long magazine length, I'm expecting the same great accuracy and a little more speed .

My current 300wm barrel would shoot 185 Hybrids pretty well at and around mag length but really started stacking them at 200 yards when I seated them at .090" off the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts