300 Win. Mag. and Berger bullets - which one ?

Bluejay

Hi Folks, I finally have my 300 Win.Mag. barrel on order and would like to gather all the components to work up an accurate hunting load for long range shots on Elk sized critters.

My barrel is a 26" - 1 in 11" twist rate - 0,66" muzzle contour, with a 2" muzzle break on.

I've heard so many good things on Berger bullets and would like to go with them, from the start.

Which Berger bullet weight/type do you think would fill my bill ?

Also, I am thinking on going either with RWS or Norma brass...
Which one would you recommend ?

Thanks a bunch for your help ! :D

BJ

I personally shoot 190 and 185 VLDs in a 10 twist with IMR7828ssc and Winchester brass.
Lots of guys are using 210vld and 215 hybrids with good results. You can check Berger's twist rate calculator on their website to see if you can stabilize the longer bullets with your 11 twist at your elevation.

Bluejay, if you're sure your rifle is 1:11 twist the heaviest Berger it can stabilize is 190 grain per the Berger site chart. My friend shoots the 185 VLD I n his 300 WSM which is deadly accurate. Perhaps the Norma brass if you are OK with the price since it is very consistent and needs less work to prep. Good luck

H-1000 and 210 VLD are very good in my rifle w/ Benchmark barrel. I use them for elk. The 208 gr A Maxes (bought when they were cheap) had the same POI with the same charge. Usually high ..3's or .4 MOA.

H-1000 and 210 VLD are very good in my rifle w/ Benchmark barrel. I use them for elk. The 208 gr A Maxes (bought when they were cheap) had the same POI with the same charge. Usually high ..3's or .4 MOA.

In which barrel length and twist are you running them ?
...and what powder charge and jump ? :D

Bluejay, if you're sure your rifle is 1:11 twist the heaviest Berger it can stabilize is 190 grain per the Berger site chart. My friend shoots the 185 VLD I n his 300 WSM which is deadly accurate. Perhaps the Norma brass if you are OK with the price since it is very consistent and needs less work to prep. Good luck

I've run the Berger Twist calculator and with the 210 VLD @ 2650 (which is plenty low...) and 3000 ft. Elevation it gives me well over 1.66 SG :)

If it were my build, I would change the order to a 1 in 10 twist and get some 215 Berger Hybrids. My 300 win in now at 31 and 0 for one shot kills on big game, 50 yards to 1300 yards. Most of them elk. I have used the 210 VLD and used the 190 vld too for a while. They all killed fine, but for my needs the 215 stands out above them in every aspect.

Jeff

If it were my build, I would change the order to a 1 in 10 twist and get some 215 Berger Hybrids. My 300 win in now at 31 and 0 for one shot kills on big game, 50 yards to 1300 yards. Most of them elk. I have used the 210 VLD and used the 190 vld too for a while. They all killed fine, but for my needs the 215 stands out above them in every aspect.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,
What is your barrel length, powder and charge? Also, do you know how far off the land you are?

Tom

HOGWASH!!

I have been shooting the 215 Berger Hybrid out of several 1-11twist bbls from zero F to 90 F with great results. Great 1000 yard "F" class combo!! I don't care what the Berger chart says. You don't know till you try!!

I also shoot the 200 Hybrid out of a 1-12 Kreiger with the same results!! 1000 BR

Had lots of 22 cals with 1-14 twist shooting the 55 grain Balistic tips for years. Had only one that wouldn't.

Now, would I recomend a 1-11 for the 215? No, because there is always a chance that it may not work. But, again, if he has the tube I would definately try the 215's!!

Tod

Hi Jeff,
What is your barrel length, powder and charge? Also, do you know how far off the land you are?

Tom

Barrel length 28" + brake

H-1000 78 gr, max charge with very light ejector marks but brass has 15 firings and pocket are now loosening. WORK UP WATCHUNG FOR PRESSURE!!

they are seated -.040" off the lands.

Jeff

Barrel length 28" + brake

H-1000 78 gr, max charge with very light ejector marks but brass has 15 firings and pocket are now loosening. WORK UP WATCHUNG FOR PRESSURE!!

they are seated -.040" off the lands.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,
What kind of muzzle velocity are you getting with that load??

Some of the results vary due to the reamer used. I have a normal SAMMI chambering and get around 2800 fps with a 215 Hybrid. Guys with longer head space reamers are getting higher velocities according to what I've read.

HOGWASH!!

I have been shooting the 215 Berger Hybrid out of several 1-11twist bbls from zero F to 90 F with great results. Great 1000 yard "F" class combo!! I don't care what the Berger chart says. You don't know till you try!!

I also shoot the 200 Hybrid out of a 1-12 Kreiger with the same results!! 1000 BR

Had lots of 22 cals with 1-14 twist shooting the 55 grain Balistic tips for years. Had only one that wouldn't.

Now, would I recomend a 1-11 for the 215? No, because there is always a chance that it may not work. But, again, if he has the tube I would definately try the 215's!!

Tod

I have a 20" 22 cal 1-14" barrel and I too shoot the 55 BT out past 300 yds. with very good accuracy. :D

Question on the Hybrids.....would you suggest them for hunting ? ...as I see they are "listed" as Target bullets only...:rolleyes:

If not, then I gotta "stick" with the 210 grs. VLD as a max. weight available...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.