300 Win. Mag. and Berger bullets - which one ?

If it were my build, I would change the order to a 1 in 10 twist and get some 215 Berger Hybrids. My 300 win in now at 31 and 0 for one shot kills on big game, 50 yards to 1300 yards. Most of them elk. I have used the 210 VLD and used the 190 vld too for a while. They all killed fine, but for my needs the 215 stands out above them in every aspect.

Jeff

I hear you Jeff ! :D

Unfortunately, it is not a special built barrel and it won't be possible to change the rifling, so I'm gonna have to "make do" with a 1 in 11".

Are you saying that the 215 Hybrids are the best for long range hunting Elk among the Berger .30 cal. bullet line ?
I'll be interested to know how their "terminal" performance is....

I hear you Jeff ! :D

Unfortunately, it is not a special built barrel and it won't be possible to change the rifling, so I'm gonna have to "make do" with a 1 in 11".

Are you saying that the 215 Hybrids are the best for long range hunting Elk among the Berger .30 cal. bullet line ?
I'll be interested to know how their "terminal" performance is....

I know of guys shooting the 215 in 11 twists, and I think even one 12 twist. It will depend on your rifle and altitude.

In this post we took 20 or so big game animals with the 215.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/index2.html

Since that rifle is at 31 and 0 for first round kills , mostly elk. I like the way they work from a 300 win better at 800 yards+ than I do at 100. But they have yet to not kill for me.

I do think the 215 is the best bullet for long range in a 300 win and also a 308 or 30-06. But in larger cased chamberings like 300 RUM or 30-378 I prefer the 230's

Jeff

I know of guys shooting the 215 in 11 twists, and I think even one 12 twist. It will depend on your rifle and altitude.

In this post we took 20 or so big game animals with the 215.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/index2.html

Since that rifle is at 31 and 0 for first round kills , mostly elk. I like the way they work from a 300 win better at 800 yards+ than I do at 100. But they have yet to not kill for me.

I do think the 215 is the best bullet for long range in a 300 win and also a 308 or 30-06. But in larger cased chamberings like 300 RUM or 30-378 I prefer the 230's

Jeff

Jeff, good work !
I've read that 3D, awesome amount of great useful info's !
Since you've mentioned it might work well on my barrel's slower twist rate (1 in 11") I want to try those 215's Hybrids out.
If they shoot well on paper, then they'll be up for some hunting this coming season :D
Plus, I normally hunt from as low as 3000 feet, up to 6500 and that may also help stabilizing the bullet a bit more.

I've seen you're using Lapua brass and RWS...
To my knowledge, Lapua brass for the 300 WM should no longer be available (but I hope they'll change their mind and start re-making them soon...).
I have access to both RWS and NORMA brass and I'm aware RWS are known to have lesser internal volume (hence, need a lower powder charge...).
Which of the two brand of brass would you recommend ?

What about seating depth ?
If I recall, you're jumping those bullets at 0,040".
I'll have no problems in my rifle, as it is a single shot...:D

:)

Sorry for the late reply. I was away from my old notes. I haven't changed this load in seven years.
75.2 gr. H-1000 208 AMax or VLD touching the lands. RWS brass. Fed 215M primer. Neck sized in a Lee collet die. Seated with a Redding Comp seating die. Death to elk and muleys

Last edited:
My rifle is a 300wm, with a 25" 1-11 barrel. I just picked up a box of Berger 185 Hybrid Hunters. I plan on using H1000. Anyone have a load they really like? I would be up for any Hodgon extreme powder.

Matt

Just finished load development on my 25", 1-10 twist. 215 grain Bergers, 74.5 grains H1000, CCI 250 primers. Seated just touching at a coal of 3.70. Shooting .75" groups at 200 yards. This load is shooting 2730 over the magneto. Going to try to confirm my drops this weekend. Can't wai to put this combo to work on deer and elk.

Sorry for the late reply. I was away from my old notes. I haven't changed this load in seven years.
75.2 gr. H-1000 208 AMax or VLD touching the lands. RWS brass. Fed 215M primer. Neck sized in a Lee collet die. Seated with a Redding Comp seating die. Death to elk and muleys

I was thinking of trying a Lee Collett as well and get a body Die to bump the shoulder...
What do you think of it ?

I've read it's either Love or Hate...:D

Did you have to "tweak it" ?

Thnx
BJ

I was thinking of trying a Lee Collett as well and get a body Die to bump the shoulder...
What do you think of it ?

I've read it's either Love or Hate...:D

Did you have to "tweak it" ?

Thnx
BJ

I've used the 300 WM Lee neck sizing die for more than two years and wouldn't be without it...it just works!

It's nice when it comes together. Those VLDs are great bullets. In my 300 win anything under 200 gr I use RE-22. It works well 180-200 but those 210's fly very well.

It's nice when it comes together. Those VLDs are great bullets. In my 300 win anything under 200 gr I use RE-22. It works well 180-200 but those 210's fly very well.

I just got my shipment of ELD-X 212's and the only powders Hornady has tested so far for this bullet are H4350 and RL22. I'm going to work up some RL22 loads because I have it on the shelf, but based on what I've read, I think Retumbo may be the right powder for the 212's and 220's. So, I'm looking at Retumbo load data for other bullets in the 208-210 range to get an idea about where I should start and how far I could safely go.

Does anyone want to comment or share their experience?

Don't forget about 7828.
I'm running 79 gr for 190 vld, I don't know how the bearing surface compares with the eld x so start a few grains lower.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.