300 win mag vs 7mm rm

I think the difference is that with a 7mmRM I can comfortably shoot 160 to 168gr bullets that have pretty good BCs without a muzzle break. Once you're into 180s, I must agree that a 7mmRM is getting pretty punishing, arguably close to a 300WM with 180s. The difference is that the 7mm 180 has about the same BC as a 210-215gr bullet out of the 300WM. The recoil of a full house 215 load out of a 300WM is getting downright violent as far as I'm concerned. I shoot a 7mmRM because I like high BC bullets but don't see the need for all the recoil. Heck, I've killed quite a few elk with 150s and 160s. I don't shoot muzzle breaks anymore after an incident years ago elk hunting, I timber hunt sometimes and they're just not worth it to me. Some guys say they use hearing protection while hunting and kudos to them but I'm not in the habit and probably never will be. Thus, I'm obviously going to stick to my 7mmRM and if I need more gun I'm going all the way to a 338.

I know how it is, my buddy swears his 300 Wby knocks elk flat every time and conveniently forgets the times when they didn't (I've watched him kill 3 bulls, 1 went down, 1 ran 100 yards and crashed into a pile, and one ran into the timber and I put it down with my lowly 7WSM.). Anyway, he's happy and I'm happy for him (although I still see no reason to carry a 300 Wby) I let him do it with a smile on my face.

Carry on, you're all good guys. Thanks for reading.

Cross

Hi guys.
What caliber would you choose for long distance hunting?
-The 300 wm is with 26 "barrel and 1:10 twist. thinking of using 210-215gr bullets
-7mm rm, 26 barrel and 1: 8 twist. thinking 180gr bullets.

What speed can I expect from these calibers with these bullets?

regards
300 win mag with a 27.125" barrel. 1:10 twist The heavier bullets will work awesome

Here's an excerpt from terminal ballistics:

There is an old and long standing argument, which is better, the 7mm Remington Magnum or the .300 Winchester Magnum? This argument pits the two most common factory magnums head to head. In truth, each has its unique strengths. The strengths of the .300 are in its ability to produce fast killing on body weights greater than 90kg. To this end, the rule of this author states, where 90% of the hunters game weights are less than 90kg (200lb), the 7mm magnums show great strengths. If 90% of the hunters game weigh above 90kg, the .300 magnums produce excellent performance. More specifically, on tough game species weighing around 150-200kg (330-440lb), speed of killing can be reduced from 45 seconds (7mm Magnum with conventional bullets) to either instant collapse or a few second delay - at all ranges. Once this is seen in the field and fully understood, arguments about trajectories and wind drift quickly fall by the wayside.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.300+Winchester+Magnum.html

I really think you could flip a coin and be satisfied. If I knew reloading was in the future and shots were under 500 I would lean towards the 7mm. Without reloading I would go 300 and start with ABM 215s(which are currently very difficult to find).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.