7mm RM vs 6.5X284 vs 300win mag/300wsm?

Mxracer532

So I have finally decided I wanted to get a more bear specific caliber so these are what Im really interested in. I really like the 6.5s BCs and always wanted one. But can find 300s or 7mms alot easier. Basically what one makes it superior to another? Shots would range from 200-800 ish. So its gotta be a capable long range gun. Whats everyones opinion? Thanks

Can't beat the good ole 300 WM...love them .30 cal holes, when we can't find bullets, casings, primers and powders for it shooting will be about finished....second place goes to the 7 mm RM...if your a little recoil shy this is the next step !!

Depends what you are doing, but I have 6.5's for up to 600yrds in F-Class, have tried the 6.5x55, very good, but my 264WM is better, I also have a barrel rough chambered in 6.5-284 I haven't tried yet, maybe next year. For 1000yrd F-Class, I use 300WM with 210gr Bergers or 200gr Accubonds when Bergers are hard to source here. Still trying to source some 215gr Hybrids to try.
My long range (1000+yrds) rifle is a custom 700 in 338 Edge, we cannot use anything above 8mm in F-Class here in Australia.
For competition use, you can't go past the 300WM for 1000yrds, many where I shoot are using the WSM, but, it isn't winning more matches than us using the WM, accuracy is about the same, although the WM does have an edge on wind drift with the better velocity with 200gr and heavier bullets.
Hope this helps you decide.

Cheers.
gun)

Out of your list for bear, I would go with the 7mm. I'm finishing up a 338 NM building for LR bear, elk, moose, and then will sell off my 7mm for a 6.5 build for LR deer....at least this week, that is what I'm thinking.

6.5x284 or 300 Win is really doesn't matter. A good shot in the boiler room and they die. Get the rifle you like.

Jon

And yes, I have killed mule deer, whitetails, elk and blackies with all these....

If you can shoot a 300WM comfortably in a weight that you don't mind carrying, then there's no such thing as too much gun. I had one for 6 months and hated it, my shoulder took over a year to recover. This was before I learned that LR big boomers shouldn't weigh 7 lbs. and discovered muzzles brakes. I had a 10 lb 7RM which was fine to shoot, but I wasn't satisfied with the accuracy, so I had a heavy barreled 6.5/284 built. That one shoots great, and I wouldn't feel shy about a bear at the ranges you mentioned. I have since built a 280AI, and get almost the same velocity as my old 7RM with the same bullet (3015 fps vs 3050 fps with 168VLDs). I look upon this rifle as my "one size fits all" favorite. It weighs 12 lbs, and has a JP brake.

As long as you can carry the gun and take the recoil. IIWM

#1 300 WM, I have a Wby
#2 300 WSM, mine is pretty heavy for hunting.
#3 7 RM, I don't have one but I study history, repeat someone else's success is likely.
#4 6.5x284. My 284 is a 284. My 6.5 is a Rem 260, can't help you much except to say if it was a lever gun, sure. As a bolt gun, I would like bigger or faster reload time.

IIWM 30 cal all the way.

The faster a bear dies the better. The larger the caliber the faster the bear dies. Therefore 300WM or WSM.

The thing i realy like about 6.5x284 is every gun ive seen shoots sub moa and i like the avalibility and quality of lapua brass.
I wish they still made it in 300win .
Never seen lapua brass for a 7mm and i like heavy bullets so i choose 300 over 7mm all day. Imo

As long as you can carry the gun and take the recoil. IIWM

#1 300 WM, I have a Wby
#2 300 WSM, mine is pretty heavy for hunting.
#3 7 RM, I don't have one but I study history, repeat someone else's success is likely.
#4 6.5x284. My 284 is a 284. My 6.5 is a Rem 260, can't help you much except to say if it was a lever gun, sure. As a bolt gun, I would like bigger or faster reload time.

IIWM 30 cal all the way.

I am curious about the "faster reload time" comment. Did/do you have one with feeding issues?

I am curious about the "faster reload time" comment. Did/do you have one with feeding issues?
No feeding issues with any of the cartridges listed.

It just came out when I was typing. If I were going against a bear with a 6.5 I would prefer the faster reload time that a lever action has over a bolt action. I can cycle both plenty fast but the lever is by far faster.

I ain't no pro but I play cowboy games once in a while. Fast enough that I don't embarrass myself.

No feeding issues with any of the cartridges listed.

It just came out when I was typing. If I were going against a bear with a 6.5 I would prefer the faster reload time that a lever action has over a bolt action. I can cycle both plenty fast but the lever is by far faster.

I ain't no pro but I play cowboy games once in a while. Fast enough that I don't embarrass myself.

With average shots being 400+ a lever action isnt even a thought.

Yup.

IIWM still go 30 cal for 400 yards. Predators react differently to a flubbed shot then prey.

BTW: A Winchester Model 88 is a lever gun than can make a 400 yard shot.

Don't be so sure to count out a lever gun for mid-range work... The 7mm STE created by Layne Simpson (Shooting Times editor and the creator of the 7mm STW) is a badass round, designed specifically for use in lever-action rifles. :D

The 7mm STE

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.