338 lapua vs 338rum vs 300win mag vs 308

I started with a 300 Win Mag and it's good to 1000 yards, I practiced out to that distance. Great selection of bullets too. Savage out of the box shoots great.

Even if you hand load the rum is way cheaper. The rum brass is $1 a piece and the lapua is $2.50. But if you want good brass you can't get it for the rum. That lapua brass is good stuff though.
I have seen the RUM brass offered by nosler. I am under the impression that the nosler brass is top quality too. I don't think they offer the 7RUM 0r the 338RUM but I do know they offer the 300RUM. How about Cor-bon brass? Does anyone know where they get their brass from? And, how is the quality compared to the other brass available?

I have seen the RUM brass offered by nosler. I am under the impression that the nosler brass is top quality too. I don't think they offer the 7RUM 0r the 338RUM but I do know they offer the 300RUM. How about Cor-bon brass? Does anyone know where they get their brass from? And, how is the quality compared to the other brass available?

Federal I believe is the rumor

The 308 has been proven for many years by our servicemen that it effective on 200 pound man sized targets out to 800 yards plus. It is one of my favorite rounds. If this is not enough rifle then look to the 300 win mag. It been around a long time....ammo is plentiful in lots of varieties and it is very accurate.

The lapua and 338 RUM are the same performance so take your pick there. The 300 RUM is also a good choice for long range big game. The 308 is accurate at long range but not nearly as good as the others if the wind is blowing. Not good as a long range big game round because it just doesn't have the energy. Either one of the first three and you can kill stuff as far as you can hit it. Barrels will last longer with the 338's.

Not quite. The Lapua is a class above the 338 RUM.

From the sounds of it, I am guessing you won't shoot much further than 500 yards. Basically if you don't have time to reload, and fine tune ammo, you won't have time to practice shooting any distance further.

So, I would say go with a 7mm Rem Mag or a 300 Win Mag. Either will kill at a 1000 yards, but are better suited for the 500 yard average skilled shooter. Also, ammo is very affordable.

Anaconda, since you do not reload I would stick to cartridges like the 300 win mag, 338 win mag, and 300 RUM that are very easily obtainable about anywhere. If you don't hunt elk size critters then you will have fun with the 308.

Lapua Guy, What can a 338 Lapua do that can not be done with a 338 RUM? I should have said about the same performance I guess but either will do anything the other will in a hunting situation. 338 Lapua rounds are hard to come by since Anaconda doesn't reload. The Lapua can be pushed a little faster but accuracy loads for both seem to fall in about the same velocity range.

for hunting deer the .308 is good enough if it doesn't drop you are TOO far away from the game ..sharpen your hunting skills and get closer to the game [thats what hunting is all about ].... you should be ok with the .308 .

Anaconda, since you do not reload I would stick to cartridges like the 300 win mag, 338 win mag, and 300 RUM that are very easily obtainable about anywhere. If you don't hunt elk size critters then you will have fun with the 308.

Lapua Guy, What can a 338 Lapua do that can not be done with a 338 RUM? I should have said about the same performance I guess but either will do anything the other will in a hunting situation. 338 Lapua rounds are hard to come by since Anaconda doesn't reload. The Lapua can be pushed a little faster but accuracy loads for both seem to fall in about the same velocity range.

Short answer, about 200 more yards. And rounds for Lapua are easier to find, so is brass. More expensive, but easier to find. 338 is fine, but it is no Lapua.

With a 300 grain bullet and a 30" barrel accuracy loads for both on average will be between 2750 fps and 2850 fps. How will the lapua get you 200 more yards downrange? If I wanted to really push the limits of the lapua it is a little faster. But not enough to give it 200 more yards of range plus the accuracy loads all seem to fall into that 100 fps slot range I mentioned.

With a 300 grain bullet and a 30" barrel accuracy loads for both on average will be between 2750 fps and 2850 fps. How will the lapua get you 200 more yards downrange? If I wanted to really push the limits of the lapua it is a little faster. But not enough to give it 200 more yards of range plus the accuracy loads all seem to fall into that 100 fps slot range I mentioned.

First, the capability of loading a Lapua far exceeds the load capabilities of a RUM. Also, assuming equal pressures, take a look at downrange energy. Big difference at 500 yards, even larger at 1000. If you don't want a Lapua, then go with the 338 Edge. To me, there isn't much reason to own a 338 RUM when you have that option out there.

How much experience do you have shooting the 338-300 RUM, 338 RUM and 338 Lapua that you mentioned? The capabilities of the lapua do not far exceed the capability of the RUM. What is the load and velocity you shoot that far exceeds a 338 RUM? You may have a particularly fast rifle but on average they are abut the same. Certainly not enough difference to make a difference in a hunting situation.

I believe that he will not be reloading. So that leaves factory ammo. Per midway; black hills ammo is $119.99 for a box of twenty. Lapua is selling for $61.99 a box. More affordable than the black hills, closer to half the price. One loading from nosler for $96.99 with only one load at 225gr ab. Remington loads the lapua, 20 rds for $125.99. Not many options for the lapua, most that have them above the $100 dollar mark offer one or two loadings. I'm not gonna be seen anywhere spending over $100 let alone up to $125 for a box of twenty. And at that, they better group 1/2" for that price. Remington and nosler only offer one load for the lapua. I only found four loads from lapua, and three of them were only 250gr. Black hills only has two 250 and 300 gr. If I'm not a handloader I would deffinately not go with a lapua if those are my options jmo, and I've not found one factory offered edge or 338-300 ammo.

How much experience do you have shooting the 338-300 RUM, 338 RUM and 338 Lapua that you mentioned? The capabilities of the lapua do not far exceed the capability of the RUM. What is the load and velocity you shoot that far exceeds a 338 RUM? You may have a particularly fast rifle but on average they are abut the same. Certainly not enough difference to make a difference in a hunting situation.

Listen, you want to lump the LM in with the RUM, then be my guest. I really don't care. I disagree, and you saying I am wrong, doesn't change my mind, as me saying you are wrong, won't change yours. So, I will make one final point and you can have the floor.

Out to 500 yards, you are right, in a hunting situation, there isn't a ton of difference between the two, but there is a difference. I know even at muzzle point, with a 300gr Berger and 92 gr of H1000, in a 26" barrel, I can get 2790 fps no problem. You will be lucky to 2600 with the same load in an 26" RUM. Furthermore, you can push the LM further in loading, where as 92 gr in the RUM is pushing the limits pretty quickly. That is significant in my mind when you take that downrange to long distances.

Is it a good round, absolutely. If you own and Edge or Lapua, is there any reason to replace it with a RUM, nope, not in my mind. Unless you love it. As evidenced by your voracious argumentative fury on the subject.

People think that just because a person shows that their rifle doesn't fit in their arsenal, that it is somehow a knock on that rifle. I am not knocking the 338 RUM. It is a fine round. It just doesn't fit in my arsenal. Neither does the Edge right now, but I would make room for it. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts