300 WIN MAG Ammo problem

bosty2

Well I put myself between a rock and a hard place...I have been preparing for my elk hunt for about 2 years now. I bought my 300 win mag and found that it shot the Hornady 180 Superformance best...Shot all summer with the SST's waiting for the 180 Interbond Superformance to arrive from back order...from what Im hearing Hornady suspended production of some of their rounds to try to get caught up...long of the short, Im not getting the 180 Interbonds before my trip...SO I turn to the experts on here...what factory ammo compares to the ballistics of the 180 Superformance Hornady? Im really afraid to take the 180 SST's elk hunting, I have heard some horror stories from that bullet on Elk...Leaving in 5 weeks...THANKS...and PLEASE HELP!

I would check your local shelves and/or online and see what's available. Then check the ballistics on each of them and see. Most manufacturers post numbers as to approximate velocity, etc. Good luck! Most over the counter ammo should be fine, you just might have to limit you distances.

Another alternative is the 180 Nosler accubond. I shoot it, killed 3 bulls with it so far in last two years. My load is 71g of H4350 out of a 26" browning a bolt2. It shoots 3240 fps 2/3 " groups.

Just in case you needed another alternative.

Good luck.

Use your Google-fu. :D

Hornady 82198 - they have allegedly 37 BOXES in stock right on my first hit:

300 Winchester Magnum by Hornady [82198] - $33.90 : ESC, You decide.We provide

Buy several boxes if you shoot factory ammo and don't want this problem again. Oh, and from experience, CALL them to order, verifying they actually have it in stock. Going through the next few pages of a Google search shows no one else has it in stock so I wouldn't assume the web page linked above is up to date.

That's probably as good as you're going to get unless you move to a different ammo.

Alternately, if you know anyone who reloads you can work up a load using 180 Accubonds as they are probably as close as you can get.

I have been searching the web(google) for weeks I have never heard of that site before...thanks for the heads up!

IIWY, especially on elk, I'd try the 210gr Berger Match Hunting VLDs by HSM (page 49 of 62 http://www.thehuntingshack.com/catalog/retail/ProductList.pdf).

Contact The Hunting Shack

logo_hsm.gif

Mailing Address

The Hunting Shack, Inc.
4406 Rathbun Lane
Stevensville, MT 59870
USA

Phone/Fax Numbers

Local: (406) 777-2106
Toll Free: (800) 856-2857
Fax: (406) 777-3908

Hours of Operation

8am to 5pm M-F (Mountain Time)

Email Addresses

Orders: [email protected]
Technical Support, Importing and Exporting: [email protected]

It's best to call them, lots of good folks there.

BTW, welcome to LRH and enjoy. Happy safe hunting/shooting ... good luck!

Ed

Does anybody have any information on the company mentioned above...Endless Supplies.net? I have been trying to contact them and place an order...I cannot find a phone number nor will it take my order from the web site....thanks...Matt

Not sure what you heard as far as the sat, but I dropped a bull last year with one and they did great. 75 yards quartering away. Entered just in front of the diaphragm and exited just behind the off side shoulder. He went about fifty feet. Close range engagement, but I had no problems

Does anybody have any information on the company mentioned above...Endless Supplies.net? I have been trying to contact them and place an order...I cannot find a phone number nor will it take my order from the web site....thanks...Matt

I had the same issue. I emailed a couple of times and never got a reply.... ordered from Midway instead.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.