338 Win Mag R19 temp problems?

RevJim

Anyone ever had any temp stability issues with R19 in their loads? I'm mainly talking about any load you worked up in the late summer/early Fall and then used in sub freezing temps? Any measurable loss of velocity, erratic ignition, change in POI, etc? Thanks.

I had difficulty lighting it off with standard CCI primers. Got hangfires 80-90 degree temperatures in a 6.5 Remington Magnum.

Good luck

Jerry

Is it p
I had difficulty lighting it off with standard CCI primers. Got hangfires 80-90 degree temperatures in a 6.5 Remington Magnum.

Good luck

Jerry
Is it possibly your primers causing the problem? I've not had any problems with R19 and I am using Fed 215 and Fed 215M in my .340 Wby (87.0 grains of R19).
I get consistent velocities at 50 degrees and 80 degrees. Not a real extreme temp difference. Velocities are usually 2900 to 2925 with 225 grain Barnes TTSX.

Last edited:
Yes, I did switch to a hotter primer but I was only trying to light off 51.5 grains of R19 powder. I shot heavier charges of IMR4350 and H4831SC in other cartridges with regular primers, without ignition issues.

Ran it for most of a year in a 25-06. Great groups that held out to 500 yards. Then along came a Texas summer. My upper-mid-range load locked the bolt in 95 degree heat.
It fertilized this year's garden.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.