300 weatherby to RUM or 378?

Mahikilr

Ok guys so I think I am going to send my sendero in and have it reamed to either a 300 RUM or 30-378. It shoots the berger 210's lights out so I am worried about messing it up to much BUT I would like to get a little more push for the 210-220 grain bullets that i am shooting. Has anyone done this or know of someone who has? What were the results? Also I was thinking of going with Score High Gunsmith in Albuquerque unless someone can recommend someone else. Can anyone comment on him?

Want a little more velocity from that 300 wby and a little larger bullet. Have you considered the 215 Hybrids? My 300 win shoots them very well and above 3000 fps. I actually gained about 50 fps with 1 gr less powder (same lot) when I swithed from a 210 vld to a 215 Hybrid. I attribute it to the shorter bearing surface. The 215's BC is very good and I have taken game within a few yards of 1300 with them.

As far as going RUM or 30-378, I have been there and I am happily back to a 300 win. So my advice is not to do it unless you are only going to shoot the 220 or 230's. The facts of diminishing returns really come into play with lighter bullets like the 210's and I don't feel it is worth the loss of barrel life. However the 230's do seem to make a more efficient chambering out of the RUM or 30-378.

As for Score High, I have worked with one of their new builds and talked with Charlie on the phone. He was helpful, honest and easy to talk to. The quality of the rifle and work was good and it shoots well.

Jeff

Ok guys so I think I am going to send my sendero in and have it reamed to either a 300 RUM or 30-378. It shoots the berger 210's lights out so I am worried about messing it up to much BUT I would like to get a little more push for the 210-220 grain bullets that i am shooting. Has anyone done this or know of someone who has? What were the results? Also I was thinking of going with Score High Gunsmith in Albuquerque unless someone can recommend someone else. Can anyone comment on him?

I have both the 300 RUM and the 30/378 and my experience has been- the 300 rum is very forgiving
as to what bullets and powders can be used. Also it is, IMO one of the best all round cartridges out there.

I love my 30/378 and it pretty much blows away all other 30 calibers. It is how ever more finicky
about the powder used than the 300 RUM so more load development may be necessary.

I Like 200 to 215 grain bullets in both and both will whiz them well above Mach 3.

The easiest change would be the 300 RUM (Very few changes to the action are necessary.

The 30/378 would require a bolt face and extractor change.

J E CUSTOM

.30-378 Wby is one of the calibers I want in my arsensal one day. Not sure why, but that's one I have wanted for years and years.

If it was me, I would run the RUM & 230's like Broz suggested. The WBY is one bad hombre however, I personally feel that cartridge is better suited for larger actions.

RUM brass is cheaper & plentiful (most of the time :D) there is no silly belt (not a hindernace) & performance/accuracy can be achieved very easily.

I have to vote RUM hands down.

t

Broz always coming to help me with an answer!! Aren't the berger hybrids a little less effective for hunting heavier game animals? I've seen a couple tv shows where guys were shooting the 300grs out of the lapuas and it looked like the bullet just did a complete pass thru on the animal and never expanded. I'm not sure if i can stabilize the heavier bullets in my factory barrel. I was going to just order a custom barrel but for $175 I thought why not just ream it and see what happens? I was happy with the weatherby until i went up to the heavier bullets. I have to seat them so deep that i get pressure signs before i get to max pressure. The seat is due for accuracy not for convenience. He just advised me that reaming the chamber had the potential to be a complete FAIL which did not excite me as the barrel shoots amazing.

Broz always coming to help me with an answer!! Aren't the berger hybrids a little less effective for hunting heavier game animals?.

Got your PM and glad you found my thread on the 215's and read it and found your answers. I prefer to show actual results and let the individual decide if he thinks they will suit him.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.