300 Ultramag build advice

Enough said! I just ordered 200 of them to start!! Thanks Broz..

I think you will like them. Wait till you see how they buck the wind. That shot on the Bull at 511 yds, we were in an out cropping of rocks shooting across a valley. We were right on top and the wind was touching 40 mpg in the gusts. We talked it over as we felt it was a low percentage shot. But by this time in the season we had good confidence in the combination. It was decided to go for tight to the shoulder as at this distance even a 1 or 2 moa windage miss would still be good with a Berger the way the bull was laying. And a follow up shot would be ready if needed. The result wasthe bull just rolled back and kicked out his front leg. This is the way it should be with long range hunting in my mind. Plenty of time to plan a shot even as close as 500 yards. Unless a guy is a clown and walks out in the open skylined on ridges. :D:D

Good Luck with them! Let me know what you get with Velocity. A friend is loading them now in one of my old 30-378's and is close to 3000 with no pressure. I think we will stop there. Velocity has bennifits, but it is not the end all and can be a problem at close range with a true long range bullet. That is, if you let it.

Jeff

So to be clear we are talking about the 230gr Match Hybrid OTM? Because I see another one on there that is 230gr Match Hybrid target which I don't think is the one.

The OTM is a tactical style. What does that mean?

And another question is what is the construction of the berger like?

So to be clear we are talking about the 230gr Match Hybrid OTM? Because I see another one on there that is 230gr Match Hybrid target which I don't think is the one.

The OTM is a tactical style. What does that mean?

And another question is what is the construction of the berger like?

The OTM is their tactical match bullet. This means the bullet is designed to be loaded at mag length (although not required)

the hybrid target is a slightly longer bullet.

the term 'hybrid' comes from the fact that the ogive design is a combination of both a tangent and secant ogives.

I have a 300 ultra with a rockcreak barrel i get 2986 ft out of a 26'' barrel 230gr OTM. I was over 3100 but brass lasted three shot. So backed off in powder 5gr. now i shoot 2986 with ES of 6. I have put 400 rounds through it from oct. to now. That is not good. I ges the 300 ultra barrel is only good to 700 to 800 rounds. I like to shoot to much to have a rifle that is only good to 800 rounds so when i rebarrel it will be a 338 Norma. I got 700 230 gr otm at one time and 24 pounds of h-1000 so when the bullets are gone that will be it for the 300 ultra. It sounds like you to shoot alot like me so get a 338 there good for 2000 rounds if you don,t get them hot.

I have never seen a used Berger. Anyone happen to have some that were recovered? I don't see anything that says controlled expansion on them. Just curious as to how they hold together terminally.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.