300 ultramag

marccurrier

i want to handload my 300um for better performance. ive never hand loaded, so any tips on what works good for a 300um? brand of loading equipment? what do you think of the 700 rem sendaro as a rifle? and will a muzzle break hurt performance? thanks

Cherryhunter,

I really like RCBS Rockchucker presses and the new version is even better for these longer rounds. It is running around $125 or so from what I am seeing in the gun shops and catalogs.

Redding also makes their Ultra press which in my mind is the best single stage press on the market but it is much more expensive then the RCBS press but worth every penny.

Either press will perform well for you.

As far as dies go, I much prefer Redding dies over all others on the market for producing high quality ammo. They seem to induce less neck and bullet run out in loaded ammo then the other brands of conventional dies.

They cost a little more but I would highly recommend them. Remember, dies are a one time purchase if youtake care of them. Spend a little more and get a better die, you will not be sorry I promise you.

As a gunsmith, I look at all factory rifles as parts guns, but to be honest, the Rem Senderos are generally very good performers with taylored ammo to the rifle. If you want top performance in a factory platform, this would be a good selection in my opinion.

A properly fitted muzzle brake should not effect group size in amy way. They can effect point of impact but not group size. So if youalways shoot with the brake on the rifle you will never see any difference.

If you use the brake on the test range and take it off for hunting, I highly recommend you zero your rifle without the brake prior to hunting, there can be a difference.

As long as you use a thread on brake, I much prefer the Holland QD brake for a hunting rifle, you will not loose any velocity at all.

If you choose to let someone port your barrel which in my min dis the poorest form of recoil reduction ever invented, then you will loose velocity.

If you get a brake have an externally threaded brake installed by a smith that does alot of them.

The Holland QD brake turned my 8.5 lb 300 RUM into what feels like a 270 in recoil, very impressive.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby is right your initial expense will wear off with repeated use.Redding and Bonanza make really good dies and others are available at lower costs.You will love loading, it can be both rewarding and frustrating it is according to what level of accuracy you hope to obtain.The price savings are great as well not to mention a load tailored to your personel rifle!My goal is one hole at 100 yds. a lot of rifles are capable of this while few loads
will produce such accuracy.You will find documentation will be a valuable tool to the Reloader, if you find something that works record ever aspect of the load,then you can work from your notes for improvement!

the other guys covered reloading already.

yes, the rem sendero is fine for a gun. have one myself and for a factory rig, it shoots quite well out to 1k. personally speaking, i think its pointless to shoot anything less than a 200gr bullet with a ultra, and use a 220smk with 90.0gr of retumbo behind it. as far as a break, it should hurt performance at all. you just have to find a good load that shoot for you.

-brian

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO. one more question for you. You mention all these figures out past 400 yards. would I have enough energy left to drop an elk at those ranges? I figured my max range is around 400 yards?

ok 2nd last question. can I have a custom barrel made for the rifle? or better yet what would you recomend i due to make improvements to it? I had the trigger smoothed and the external thread break installed. my recoil is less than my 30-30!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.