300 Ultramag build advice

backcountryguide

First let me tell you guys were Im at with this rifle and were I would like to be. Standard Rem700p in 300 ultra. It is pillared and glassed in a mcmillan M40 stock with defensive edge cheek pieace. Glass is Nightforce as is the base and rings. Surefire muzzlebreake up front. The load it shooting best is 87gr of H1000 with 210gr vld at 2830. The load was worked over and over with pressure signs on everything higher than the 87gr and went up to 89.5gr. Im getting .65 groups on average with this combo. I shoot this gun more than anything else but it does see heavy use during elk season with clients. I want to get this gun out to 1500 yards as 1000 is very doable for me at this point. Wieght and barrel lenght are not any of my concerns just how well she shoots. So if Im going to put on a new tube what do you guys think i should go with? Brand, length, twist, and contour. I want to stick with the 210 berger or bigger matchkings. Feel free to through out anything else you guys have in mind I know there is a wealth of on knowlege on this site. Maybe some people who you guys feel would be good for the job. Im in Nevada so someone close would be great. Also what am I looking at for time and cash on this job?

I dont have a 30 exept a 30-30 pre 64 I just had handed down to me.But it sound like you are as a guide, pushing the ER type range and for that bullet.It is late so no calcs for me, what E @ 1500. My suggestion and sound like clients shoot rifle,338 RUM,new tube. I am a avid elk hunter and am working on the extnded range. My Norma is accurate @ 1500 and carries 1465# for E.That is a long punch and bullet performance is going to be a issue.A guy I know in the rifle buss. was hunting this fall with same set up as me, bullet everything and said bullet performance was marginal @1300-1400. This was on antelope.

No way in hell any of my clients shoot my rifle or thier own at anything that far away. Im talking about rocks and paper we will keep the elk smashing inside....Well not that far away!gun)

If your going to be using it strictly for elk and at longer ranges, since your rebarreling if it were me I'd go with an Edge. More effective and probably the same money. I'm not knocking the 300 Rum as I have two and nothing larger than those and I don't feel that I need anything larger unless I was using it often at 800+ for elk then I feel I would want something larger. But again still nothing wrong with the 300 Rum.

No way in hell any of my clients shoot my rifle or thier own at anything that far away. Im talking about rocks and paper we will keep the elk smashing inside....Well not that far away!gun)
SORRY, I misunderstood you:)YES I have seen newbbes and not so new, with ELKFEVERRRRRgun)

I'm shooting a custom 300 RUM with a 28" Schneider P5 barrel + Muzzle Brake. My load is 86 grains of H1000, Berger 210 VLDs, Fed 215M, Nosler Brass.

I'm getting 3025 FPS with consistent sub 1/4" @100 yards. My best group was a 1.5" group @ 750 yards.

Hope that helps.

You said elk and 1500 yards. You need to look at a 338 caliber. It will be the best choice for that. In the 300 I would have it throated for the new 230 hybrid for 1500 yards.

Through my eyes you have two choices for 1500 yards. And I feel one is way better than the other.

Go 300 RUM with 230 Bergers or maybe even the 215 VLD Bergers, but I like the 230's better for intended use of this rifle.

Or my best suggestion, Go with a 338 Edge and some 300 gr Bergers. The EDGE works out easy in a 700 long action. The 300 Berger OTM bullet is working well for us on elk and it was reported by the guys in ID they took a Bull at 1480 with a 300 OTM in a one shot DRT kill.

Go with a Hart Sendero contour, 1 in 10 twist, 30" tube. Call Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge and get it started now. Shawn has done more with the 338 Edge than some shooters do with a 100 rifles.

I would give him a call, I have seen his rifles shoot to over a mile and they shot darn good.

Jeff

Thank all for thier input so far. I would like to clarify that I do not want my clients shooting at elk 1500 yards away because I dont want to be tracking a gut shot bull all over hell and back. I want this gun more for my personell use for shooting extended ranges over 1000 yards on targets and paper. I shoot weekly over a grand so when season rolls around Im very confident out to 1000 yards. I am wodering how far some of you guys have pushed the ultra. I have been taking a good look at the 338 Edge and feel it would probaly be the better choice also. I love the big bergers and have yet to see a bull walk away from one as all have been bang flop kills even on less that perfect hits. I will be hunting with this gun just not that far away until I have the skill to do so wich I feel I am close to doing. Again thankyou guys and please keep them coming. How about some pics of your rigs and personal setups.

Thank all for thier input so far. I would like to clarify that I do not want my clients shooting at elk 1500 yards away because I dont want to be tracking a gut shot bull all over hell and back. I want this gun more for my personell use for shooting extended ranges over 1000 yards on targets and paper. I shoot weekly over a grand so when season rolls around Im very confident out to 1000 yards. I am wodering how far some of you guys have pushed the ultra. I have been taking a good look at the 338 Edge and feel it would probaly be the better choice also. I love the big bergers and have yet to see a bull walk away from one as all have been bang flop kills even on less that perfect hits. I will be hunting with this gun just not that far away until I have the skill to do so wich I feel I am close to doing. Again thankyou guys and please keep them coming. How about some pics of your rigs and personal setups.

This is a very good statement. I agree with your practice and I can tell you are an elk hunter as your experiences mirrors mine. The 300 with 210's or the 230 Bergers with their very high BCs will suit you well even to 1500 in good conditions. But I hear it in your post... "I want a 338!!" You are an elk hunter and know how your bullets work. Plus you are at 1000 consistantly and taking elk. You also stated you have seen the benefit of the Bergers when the placement is less than perfect so you know the heavier the bullets are the better. The short barrel life of the 300 RUM may be of concern to a guy like you that practices every week. You need a .338 EDGE with 300 Bergers.

Thats my opinion

Jeff

I agree with Azgutpile, a Scneider P5 26" 1-10 twist with a Vias muzzle break. We are getting 3200 fps with no signs of pressure.

Broz, I really like the BC of the 230 OTM but how well would it do @500yds and less? Would I need to carry a bonded bullet for these situations?

Last edited:
Broz, I really like the BC of the 230 OTM but how well would it do @500yds and less? Would I need to carry a bonded bullet for these situations?

We have only hunted with them one season in my son "Young-Gun's"rifle.

Here are the results.

Wy. antelope 738 yards one shot, 3/4 angle and complete pass through.

DSC03173Small.jpg

Wy antelope 590 yards one shot

DSC03180Small.jpg

Another goat in Montana 335 yards. no pic taken

Small Bull Elk 511 yards sreaming 10:00 wind complete pass through one shot

DSC03269Small.jpg

Cow elk 400 yards, one shot,complete pas through and she never took a step

2011-11-21_16-48-57_23Small.jpg

Muley Buck 893 yards DRT one shot complete pass through

DSC03282Medium.jpg

So, They are working for us... We like them. We only carry one type of bullet. I would have no problems taking a huge bull at 50 yards. But I keep them under 3000 fps and for that shot I would not do a high shounder shot. We like the crease behind the shoulder for our shots. Look at the Bull pic. My son put it right in the perfect spot and the bull never left his bed.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts