338 build advice

I am planning a Remage build based on the new line of actions from Pacific Tool & Gauge. Check out the B-52 model for 338 Lapua. I'm still looking for a barrel, recoil lug and barrel nut.

The .338 RUM would serve you well. It will do all the things you're looking to do. I built an Edge and like it shoots great but an RUM is just a little more straightforward of a project.

Well, the MARINES finally realized that the .300 Win Mag was 90% of the performance of a 338 Lapua. The rifle is 5 pounds lighter. Ammo is WAY cheaper and lighter. I just got a Rem 700 5R with a 26" bbl. with an HS precision stock, put in a Timney Trigger. Threaded the barrel. Put on a tactical bolt. It is an absolute tackdriver. You can get it 24" bbl and already threaded. I wanted the extra 70 fps. Is it boring? It Friggin works.
Load it with 215's ELD or VLD Hybrids. Put on a JP 3 port Comp or the Eliminator, once you accept it's godliness over fashion.
If you want the videos of the LACK of Recoil, PM me. !!!
20181030_203424.jpg
20181030_203539.jpg

I'd tell you to look at a 33 Nosler...more than a win mag--less than a Lapua..build in a long action seat to 3.5+..it will hammer out 250 grain bullets excess of 2700 fps..all you need...

338 norma mag it will allow you to use the awesome long bullets with high BC's. And you will still be able to use a magazine !!! I've had about all the effective 338's, Norma 338 mag is the best I've found suitable for hunting where I like the capabilities of a repeter .

Remington 700 Magnum Long Action Receiver Assembly RUM Feed Ramp Stainless Steel
$376.15 NEW

Specifications and Features:
Remington 700 Action
Long Action Magnum
Compatible with 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, .300 RUM, .375 H&H, and .458 Win Mag
Wider feed ramps optimized for feeding Remington Ultra Mag calibers
X-Mark Pro Trigger
Precision machined Stainless Steel
1-1/16"-16 tpi thread
Stainles s steel

NOTE: A regular Remington 700 LA (Long Action - and LA Magnum) will not let the fat RUM or Lapua cases feed up out of the BDL box magazine past the rails! (SINGLE-FEED ONLY)
You need a 700 RUM Action (THEY'RE CUT DIFFERENT), and RUM box magazine.
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...ssembly-stainless-steel-85320-047700853208.do

Last edited:
This last Saturday, my cousin was out shooting his 338 Rum in the Oregon Cost Range. The temp was around 45 degrees, elevation 2700 feet, and partially cloudy. He hand loaded the Hornady ELD-X 385 grain Match bullet. Labradar result was 2912 fps at the muzzle. Powder was IMR 8133.

I'm guessing you meant 285 grain, as that's the biggest 338 Hornady makes in eldx.

Lol. We must've been posting at the same time.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts