300 Rum Vs. 338 Lapua

Govcolt45

I was wondering when it comes to very log distance aplications how does the 300 remington ultra mag hold up to the 338 lapua. Everything i have read says the 338 is the best for long distance, but when the 300rum is close to the powder size of a 338, why cant it goe as far, they said the 338 is much better for long range aplications than the 300 win mag, but the 300 rum has 20% more powder so shouldent that help, i was just woundering why i dont hear more about the 300 rum, and if it could be used effectivly and acurately past 1000 yds like the 338, thanks

Yes the 300 RUM can be VERY effective past 1000 yards. Its up to your personal preferance. If using the highest quality brass is most important to you along with a bigger than 308 cal bullet, then the 338 LM is for you. If flatter trajectory is important, go with the 300 RUM.

You cant go wrong with either. They are both awesome 1000+ yard performers.

I am leaning towards a 338/300 RUM.

Same case capacity as the 338 LM
Slightly greater margin of safety on the chamber wall thickness (338 LM chamber wall thickness in a Rem/Sav action is getting pretty dang thin)
Less bolt face thrust than the 338 LM case
No bolt mods needed (uses std. magnum bolt face)

Of course, you can't buy factory ammo for it...which is the only drawback that I can see, but I don't shoot factory ammo except in my rimfires.

Those are the only two that I know of.
It would be nice if Lapua made 300 RUM brass but then it would probably be more than a $1.00 a piece, but it would be worth it to get more than 5 firings before the primer pockets open up.
Wayne aka WAMBO

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.