338 RUM vs 338/300 RUM Capacity

rost495

Looking for the difference in case capacity in grains and FPS between factory 338 RUM and a 338 built off the 300 RUM case.

Thanks for any input.

Any accuracy thoughts between the 2 or are they similar.

Jeff

Jeff,

About 8 grains and 50 fps with bullets seated to standard length.

May be a bit more with a chamber throated to seat bullet to base of neck.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Sniper2

My response was based on information I have gained from two customers suing each caliber.

THe 338 RUM was running just over 3300 fps with the 200 gr Ballistic Tip a seperate rifle in 338-300 RUM which I did not build but did some stock work on was shooting in the 3360 fps range with what seemed to be similiar pressures.

This held true for bullets such as the 180 gr Ballistic Tip where the velocities were roughly 3450 and 3500 fps for the two rounds.

Again, I do not knwo if these are full tilt top velocities as they were the accuracy loads out of each rifle with these bullets.

The 338 was a factory Rem 700 ss which I restocked with a laminated thumbhole and pillar bedded along with an accurizing job and installation of a Holland QD brake.

The other was a second hand custom rifle of unknown origin but was built to very quality specs except the neck and throat were of SAAMI dimensions so this may be the reasoning for the little amount of velocity gain.

This is a rough estimate on performanc eof each round but I believe an accurate on average assesment. As always some comparisions may have a slightly larger variance, some smaller.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts