300 RUM vs 338 RUM

Tarheelpwr

So, I'm looking to extend my ranges for big game hunting. Current build is a 280AI, which gets me 1200FPE out to about 1K.

When I run the numbers, I can't see why I would want the 338 RUM over the 300 RUM. I'm talking about overall balance and all things considered. I like a 28" pipe so I'm figuring I can get the 230 Bergers around 3000 FPS and the 300 Bergers about 2700, both out of 28".

Based on those numbers, the 338 has a 0.1 MOA drift advantage the entire way - basically negligible. Out to 1500 yds, the 338 carries the energy advantage; 1460 vs 1275 FPE - again, not drastic.

Now with all that being said, no doubt the 338 is an overall advantage, but it comes at the price of ~30% more recoil. Likely an even larger gap once you factor in the 300 will reduce even more braked vs the 338.

Am I missing something? Does the 338 vs 30 cal frontal area make that much of a difference? What are your thoughts?

depends on the game you are shooting with it. I am happy with my big 7's and big 30's on deer but the elk guys appreciate the bigger mass and frontal area of the 338 slugs. The bonus from the 338 gets bigger the farther out you push too, since the 338 has a bit better bc with its best bullets.

depends on the game you are shooting with it. I am happy with my big 7's and big 30's on deer but the elk guys appreciate the bigger mass and frontal area of the 338 slugs. The bonus from the 338 gets bigger the farther out you push too, since the 338 has a bit better bc with its best bullets.

I guess that's my question. How big of a difference does size of pill make at range? For argument sake, assuming a 300 gr pill lands on target at 1300 FPE and the 230 lands on target at same FPE. Since energy is the same, will the results be basically interchangeable? Obviously a slightly bigger hole is alway better, but .30 cal isn't exactly small.

You're a little low on your 338RUM velocity, most i'm aware of run 2750-2800; not much difference but it is accurate data to think about.

On another note, the 338 will have noticeably longer bore life. The 300RUM is one bad mo-fo I understand that, i'm in no way trying to knock it. The experienced elk hunters (here) are very biased toward the .338 based on their experience of what does the job better. Of course the 300 will kill an elk easily, but the 338 will do it easier.

With properly specs & build, either will have acceptable recoil levels.

t

You're a little low on your 338RUM velocity, most i'm aware of run 2750-2800; not much difference but it is accurate data to think about.

On another note, the 338 will have noticeably longer bore life. The 300RUM is one bad mo-fo I understand that, i'm in no way trying to knock it. The experienced elk hunters (here) are very biased toward the .338 based on their experience of what does the job better. Of course the 300 will kill an elk easily, but the 338 will do it easier.

With properly specs & build, either will have acceptable recoil levels.

t

I assumed 2700 based on the 28" pipe. I'd probably have to stretch it to 30" in the RUM to get that velocity. Which, I may end up doing anyway. It's noticeable drift/drop differences way out there.

How much would limiting my COAL to 3.75" so I can feed through my DBM really effect in the 338 RUM? I can have the barrel set up for that, so I would assume it would be minimal.

I assumed 2700 based on the 28" pipe. I'd probably have to stretch it to 30" in the RUM to get that velocity. Which, I may end up doing anyway. It's noticeable drift/drop differences way out there.

How much would limiting my COAL to 3.75" so I can feed through my DBM really effect in the 338 RUM? I can have the barrel set up for that, so I would assume it would be minimal.

With a 28" tube, my 5-shot velocity with the 300-SMK in my RUM was 2780fps. I was not able to run the 300grn Berger in my RUM because I was running the AI mags which only allow 3.6". 3.750 might be able to get you into the Bergers.

t

With a 28" tube, my 5-shot velocity with the 300-SMK in my RUM was 2780fps. I was not able to run the 300grn Berger in my RUM because I was running the AI mags which only allow 3.6". 3.750 might be able to get you into the Bergers.

t

Thanks for the first hand info.

Every 338 RUM I've built has run right at 2800 fps with a 300 gr Berger and a 28 inch barrel but just to throw out another kink is they also are running a 250 Berger in the 3100 fps range. I like the 230 Berger also so it's a hard toss up IMO but so far I've gone 338!

Every 338 RUM I've built has run right at 2800 fps with a 300 gr Berger and a 28 inch barrel but just to throw out another kink is they also are running a 250 Berger in the 3100 fps range. I like the 230 Berger also so it's a hard toss up IMO but so far I've gone 338!

I was just thinking about the possible velocity advantage of the 300 Berger, it does have a short bearing surface doesn't it? I was also thinking about the 250.... @ 3100fps that should have some dern good smack down...

t

I was just thinking about the possible velocity advantage of the 300 Berger, it does have a short bearing surface doesn't it? I was also thinking about the 250.... @ 3100fps that should have some dern good smack down...

t

That's my struggle. I'm stuck looking at numbers for now. Assuming 3100 FPS on the 250, I don't see the advantage of that over the 300 RUM moving the 230 at 3000.

The 230 has less drift, SLIGHTLY more drop and is within 100 FPE at 1400 yards. But, the .743 BC of the 230 makes a huge difference compared to the .682 on the 250. Then, you also have the SD advantage on the 230 @ .313 vs .346. That's also sort of moot as I don't have concerns about either penetrating.

Again,
No doubt the 338 RUM has a SLIGHT advantage, I just don't know how to quantify the frontal area advantage. When looking at RUM capabilities in a standard action, I'm having trouble seeing the advantage for the 338 RUM. It just seems that you have to go up to an improved version to see the real advantages.

The 300 RUM is pushing 1400 FPE to 1400 yards. I guess what I'm really seeing is that until I get out past about 1400 yards, the 300 is meeting my criteria.

I guess for me, if I'm going to step up in the recoil arena, I want a real advantage like that offered of a 338 imp or a 338-408 design. I'm not opposed to recoil, but if I can get the job done with less, accuracy will be better.

IMO the 230 berger has made the 300 almost the equal of the 338. Both are very capable. I'd chose the 300 for the reasons you've given. It will kill elk size game as far away as I'd ever be capable.

What are your thoughts?

Just my $.02. I shoot the 300 RUM with 230's and the 338's with the 300's. Both have produced great results. I'm a huge 338 fan with my personal choice likewise. Either will work but I can't keep that 300 gr smack down sound out of my head.

That last few steps in deciding between 2 good choices is the toughest part of the journey.

I have the .338 RUM, my only real complaint is the scarcity of components, etc. I don't think in the long run it's going to survive.

If I had to start from scratch, the .338 RUM would not make the final list. If staying with the .338 bore, it would be the .338 Terminator +P in a Defensive Edge LRKM. Of course similar could be done with a .308 caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts