30-338 Lapua Improved VS. 300LRH vs. 300 RUM

wilkup

I've got a serious problem on my hands; I've been bitten by the speed bug!
I'm curious how these 3 rounds stack up against each other. I'm leaning towards the larger diameter cases because of availability and quality, but am not completely against the RUM case... yet.
What is everyone's experience with these rounds and which would you pick as your hunting/target round of choice to satisfy the craving to push lead far and fast?
Looking forward to everyone's opinion on this =)

I have a 30-338 Lapua Imp and it in a 33" barrel I shoot 3350fps with 230 Bergers. I also have a 30-338 Norma Imp and I shoot 230's 3045fps in a 30" barrel. It can run faster but it is so accurate at that velocity it's not worth pushing it 75fps faster. The 30-338 Norma Imp is within a few grains of the 300RUM's case capacity.

I second the 30-338 Norma Improved. I would shoot 215 over the 230 beats the 230 out to 2000 yards I'm pushing the 215 3287fps out of a 32 inch barrel. I could never get the accuracy out of a 300 ultra mag or 30-338 Laupa imp as I could the Norma. There is something magical about the Norma Improved cases they just shoot.

Have a 300AX, (Kirby Allen's version of a 30-338 Lap Imp.) and mine only has a 28in. barrel less brake and runs the 230 Bergers right at 3250 which I'd say is inline with IdahoCTD's 30-338 Lap Imp w/33in tube running the same bullet at 3350.

I would agree with TH. My Norma Imp is probably the most accurate .30 caliber magnum I've ever built and I've built 20 or more for myself. I'm going to build a lighter weight version on a 8.5 twist #5 barrel to shoot the 230's, ELD-M 225's and hopefully the EOL 245gr Bergers when they get done.

BTW the current 1000yd record is held by a case quite similar to the 30-338 Norma Imp.

The 30-338 Lap imp I think is the most impressive speed demon out there. The ones that I have worked with have been very good. I have not worked with the Norma yet. We have a 300 Norma imp that is almost done and will be working with it soon. I am very excited to work with it. It will not have the vel capability of the Lapua case, but we are expecting RUM capabilities on a shorter case. Should be really great for long bullets and fitting platform.

Steve

The fastest speed demon is the 300 Thunder hawk . Shooting the 230 at 3600fps. Tons of brass work short barrel life but extremely fast and accurate.

I really don't wont to post this but I think RL26 is greatly out preforming Retumbo in the speed department. My rum with a 220 ELD-X which I thought is running at 3020 I think is running about 100fps faster after doing some drop work at 1000yards. I want to reloads these rounds again and see if it repeats but man 3120 would be great with the 220's.

I built a 30\338 lapua imp 2 years ago.i have a 30" lilja 3 groove and defiance rebel xl action.my current load is 102 gr of rl33@ 3100 fps i get 5 firings out of my brass conservatively.
In load development i cauld run up to 106 grns rl33 at 3450fps but only got 2 firings before the brass didnt want to resize well.
My primer pockets never get loose.my brass gets to hard even with annealing to be dependable.when i sat down with dave kiff of ptg we designed the case i used.I took out to much tpi and also had case sticking issues if not watched closely.my solution was to go and try another design.

I have a 30-338 Lapua Imp and it in a 33" barrel I shoot 3350fps with 230 Bergers. I also have a 30-338 Norma Imp and I shoot 230's 3045fps in a 30" barrel. It can run faster but it is so accurate at that velocity it's not worth pushing it 75fps faster. The 30-338 Norma Imp is within a few grains of the 300RUM's case capacity.

I built a 30\338 lapua imp 2 years ago.i have a 30" lilja 3 groove and defiance rebel xl action.my current load is 102 gr of rl33@ 3100 fps i get 5 firings out of my brass conservatively.
In load development i cauld run up to 106 grns rl33 at 3450fps but only got 2 firings before the brass didnt want to resize well.
My primer pockets never get loose.my brass gets to hard even with annealing to be dependable.when i sat down with dave kiff of ptg we designed the case i used.I took out to much tpi and also had case sticking issues if not watched closely.my solution was to go and try another design.
What was your TPI if you dont mind my asking?

The fastest speed demon is the 300 Thunder hawk . Shooting the 230 at 3600fps. Tons of brass work short barrel life but extremely fast and accurate.

Not looking to accuse or start anything, but that sounds downright unbelievable. What the heck is this .300 thunder hawk? What case is it off of, what barrel length to go that fast? Cheytac? I'm amazed that the thin jacketed match projectiles wouldn't blow up shortly after leaving the muzzle at that speed. Sceptical but very open to being wowed, I want to believe this. Intrigued.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.