300 RUM Bullet weight?

jackin brass

I have a new M 700 Police 300 rum, I was planning on shooting 180 gr. Through it, but after reading some of these post, I'm wandering if I need to go heavier? I've got other rifles to hunt with, it will mainly be a long range toy. If I did hunt 180 gr is more than enough hunting central Texas. I got a mark 4 20x sitting. On top. So shooting at a grand which weight will I have the best luck with?

The most important thing is to find a bullet your gun likes. A heavier bullet works better in the wind and has a longer range with effect. The 210 Berger would bea good one to try but you may need to try several to see what workd best in this rifle.

I have a new M 700 Police 300 rum, I was planning on shooting 180 gr. Through it, but after reading some of these post, I'm wandering if I need to go heavier? I've got other rifles to hunt with, it will mainly be a long range toy. If I did hunt 180 gr is more than enough hunting central Texas. I got a mark 4 20x sitting. On top. So shooting at a grand which weight will I have the best luck with?
It'll depend on your individual rifle.

I have several freinds who shoot 1000yds plus with 300 Rums and 300wm's who swear there's no point whatsoever to going heavier than 180.

I also know guys that believe heavier is better because of the higher BC bullets.

I'd say buy a few boxes of different weight bullets (all same brass stamp) and just see what shoots best with the factory loads and then try to match that if you are going to reload.

180gr at 3,400 FPS is going to more than enough energy to kill anything in North America out to 1000yds if you put it through the bread box.

My personal experience is that very few rifles will perform with either the lightest or heaviest bullets, nor with the fastest or slowest loads available.

All of my own rifles have always shot best with a good high bc bullett in the mid range of the weight for the caliber at just under max FPS.

thanks, i just need some more time to see what works best. i got to say, i think i will really like this gun it shoots great. just need to get it to a fine tune.

thanks, i just need some more time to see what works best. i got to say, i think i will really like this gun it shoots great. just need to get it to a fine tune.
Sometimes you get lucky and get one that shoots everything great. I actually have a mini 14 in 6.8spc (customized) that shoots sub MOA with anything I run through it.

More often than not though there's just one particular bullet, one particular powder charge and primer that gives you maximum precision.

That's why long range fanatics spend so much time tweaking and tuning.

When developing a load it's not at all uncommon to just load 5-10 of each of a dozen different loads, bullets etc at a time and spend a day at the range just seeing which of them hits the sweetest spot.

When you find that perfect point, make sure you have enough similar components and enough powder of the same lot number and load as many as you can. Then you are set until you run out and have to try again.

Sometimes you get a significant variance between lot numbers of the same powder so having enough powder to just keep running is important.

When I was loading a lot I'd just buy several pounds of a given lot every time and then chronograph a few loads to see what variation we had vs the last lot.

Sometimes you get lucky and get one that shoots everything great. I actually have a mini 14 in 6.8spc (customized) that shoots sub MOA with anything I run through it.

More often than not though there's just one particular bullet, one particular powder charge and primer that gives you maximum precision.

That's why long range fanatics spend so much time tweaking and tuning.

When developing a load it's not at all uncommon to just load 5-10 of each of a dozen different loads, bullets etc at a time and spend a day at the range just seeing which of them hits the sweetest spot.

When you find that perfect point, make sure you have enough similar components and enough powder of the same lot number and load as many as you can. Then you are set until you run out and have to try again.

Sometimes you get a significant variance between lot numbers of the same powder so having enough powder to just keep running is important.

When I was loading a lot I'd just buy several pounds of a given lot every time and then chronograph a few loads to see what variation we had vs the last lot.

Can't really sum it up any better than that, I am finally wising up and buying powder by the 5/8lb keg rather than 1lb. Lot to lot consistency seems to be a joke these day with most powders I use. Not gonna mention company names, but it starts with H and ends with N, lol.

Can't really sum it up any better than that, I am finally wising up and buying powder by the 5/8lb keg rather than 1lb. Lot to lot consistency seems to be a joke these day with most powders I use. Not gonna mention company names, but it starts with H and ends with N, lol.
Funny Hogdon is the one I always had the least trouble with.

What I'd do when buying a new powder is get a one pound can, making sure they had plenty more and/or some 5's/8's in stock from the same lot. If it worked well I'd buy enough to load a thousand rounds and just sit on it.

Like the old saying goes, just keep your poweder dry and it lasts for decades.

I'm glad I don't shoot as much though as I did twenty years ago. I could never afford it considering how much components cost.

When I got out of the service the first time I burned the barrels completely out of a number one ruger in .220 swift three times in one year sending prairie dogs to prairie rat heaven.

I used up 5-1lb cans of retumbo, all of varying lots before getting fed up with adjusting loads before switching to 8lb cans, on my second 1lb can of H4831sc when i had the same issue, i bought and 8lb can of the same lot, poured it all togather and reworked from there. Never had the issue with IMR4350 though, nor have i with RL15.

Had a 300 RUM and I had great luck with 208 amax as well as 210 and 220 SMK. Best shooter in my gun was 208s with H1000 but had great results as well with RL22. Good thing is with a stock remmy you can load the Amax out to the lands and have great case capacity so you can load up to either best accuracy or until you get velocity you are looking for/unless you start getting over pressure signs of coarse. The 208s are great shooting and BC is great to. But best of all you can hunt or paper shoot with them and not hurt your wallet. Best of luck with your RUM. Thats the fun part to me is making all the different loads and tuning to get the best out of your rifle.

I have been shooting 200g accubonds with 93g retumbo getting great accuracy but they are a little slow 3045fps. Im gonna see if i can get 3150-3200 with good accuracy. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.