338-300 RUM Barrel Weight Question

durak

I have a 33" finished barrel + 4" muzzle brake almost ready to shoot - Currently the barrel is 1.3" in diameter for the full 37"s. I know, I was planning on it being used for ELR from a bench or bipod on steel only. Now that I'm looking at ballistics, specifically 300gr Berger energy at ELR, I'm thinking of what it would do to an elk.....I need your opinions.....if you were me what profile would you use on this barrel for both ELR hunting and steel.

Thanks

PS - I have a lathe, the barrel started at 1.75 diameter, so I'll be doing the work.

That's a lot of steel - especially if you are hanging it off a std. Rem 700 LA. There are some custom actions out there that are built to accommodate some extra length in the shank area. I wouldn't go below 0.9" at the muzzle - probably a target profile, but palma contour also nice. Finally, I would cut the barrel at 30" unless you have a custom action with more thread in the shank to hold all that extra weight.

That's a lot of steel - especially if you are hanging it off a std. Rem 700 LA. There are some custom actions out there that are built to accommodate some extra length in the shank area. I wouldn't go below 0.9" at the muzzle - probably a target profile, but palma contour also nice. Finally, I would cut the barrel at 30" unless you have a custom action with more thread in the shank to hold all that extra weight.

+1

30 to 31'' barrels are very long especially with a 4'' brake added and the small gain of 1 or 2 more inches of barrel is not worth the problems In My Opinion,so that is also what I would recommend for a finished barrel length,

The Palma or something slightly larger/heaver is also what I would recommend but not to much heavier.

And yes , I would bed 1 to 1.5 inches of the shank to help support the barrel and protect the bedding from action flexing. Just make sure that you don't bed past the point that the contour
starts. (Stay on the straight shank only with the bedding).

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the reply's. I have already have the barreled action bedded in the stock and I did bed about 2 inches forward of the recoil lug. I figured that no matter what contour I decided on I would leave at least the first 4"s at the 1.3 size then taper from there, mainly so I could set the barrel back when I start seeing throat erosion. I'm thinking of cutting the barrel in a Dodecagon (12 sided like an octagon) while removing some of the weight it would also create a one of a kind! Or I can flute it?:rolleyes:

I have tried contours in this caliber from light palma(.750 muzzle diameter) to Heavy varmint(.900 muzzle diameter) My favorite barrel length is 30" + brake. My favorite barrel for hunting is a medium palma contour. My favorite barrel for steel is a Heavy Varmint. The rifle with the heavy varmint weighs 15.25 lbs. with scope and bipod. It is very forgiving to shoot at long range. The lighter contours are just as accurate, but less forgiving to shoot, and much easier to carry. Gary

Well I did it today - I went ahead and cut the barrel in a Dodecagon (12 sided like an octagon) while removing some of the weight. I weighed the barrel before and after and it lost about 3.5 lbs. Yes, it is still very large, but I figured I could try it out and if I wasn't happy with it I could remove more later. It's always easier to remove than add! I also left it the full 33" - I really want to try and get 3000 fps with a 300 grainer.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.