300 RUM & AA8700

sure shot

Any one have a good load using Accurate 8700 and 200gr Accubonds or 220gr SMK's. I got a few lb of this powder cheap and figure I give it a shot. Its burn rate should be well suited for the big 300 case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

None of my business but I was thumbing through my barnes book and see they give identical data from 8700 & H870. 8700 is a pretty "unused" powder and I think if you restarted your post with H870 and got some loads you might try to work up to them from just below. I bought some 8700 for my 30-378 cause I saw it had some recomendations for accuracy......just like h870 it is a darn dirty burning powder.

TommyB,

Try Starting at 96-98 gr with the 200gr. and work up from there. 102.5gr of H870 with a 200gr. SMK showed promise in my 300RUM, until I couldnt buy it anymore.

My current favorite load is 92.5gr R25 with the 200gr SMK. Provides consistant .5" groups.

The H870 AA8700 powders are surplus and designed for 20mm gatling guns. The "diry" is carbon that was formulated so the machine guns will not get as hot.

Notice Fiftydrivers posts about wc872, which is basically the same powder and his comments about lower barrel temp.

BTW, these powders seem not to foul as much when loaded to maximum pressures.

I noticed that the powder is dirty burning but I really don't care it's not like it won't clean up. I just worked the latter in 2gr increments with the 220gr SMK 5 rounds each at 100gr, 102gr, 104gr, 105.5gr but I don't know when I will get to the range to test them the weather has been pretty ****** here lately in the 90's humid and rainy. May be next week some time it will cool off a bit but I doubt it. It only takes a few shots out of the RUM and the BBL takes forever to cool down know what I mean. I tried this powder in 7mm Mag to no avail velocity was 250fps slower then the book stated and they were as accurate as a red rider BB gun. I think it's a bit to slow for the 7. I will keep you posted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MY experience with H870 was that it was very dirty and was alot slower than the manual said. I have Hodgdon's manual and e-mailed them about the slowness in comparison to their data and they never e-mailed me back. Being that it was so dirty I thought it would affect accuracy and I might not trust my load development. I wound up pouring it in the snow and trying to light it. I have some 8700 on hand but really haven't put it to the test either in my 30-378.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.