300 norma imp v 30-338 lapua imp

Can you buy 300 lapua brass anywhere?

I've ran a couple 30/338 lap improved and I'll say they are potent.

I'm running a 30/338 lapua unimproved now and it's pretty potent also.
I haven't checked on availability of 300lm brass. I'm guessing there might only be 3 making brass for it at most.

According to the Wiki it's no longer available.

D7351814-E796-4624-AFD1-F6707FD28B63.png

IME RL33 will yield ~50fps less which would mostly if not all be made up by the additional barrel length.

I was contemplating a similar items as you but in 338. I compared a 338 NMI to a 330 LMI and according to QL with pressures being equal there was only 50-60fps difference. Hardly enough for me to give up the versatility of the NMI in favor of the LMI.
Yep, I, too, went the NMI route over the LMI. One of the decisions also was the COAL requirement to take advantage of the long/heavy bullets.

.338_Lapua_Magnum_vs_.338_Norma_Magnum.jpg

.338 NM in .338 LM CIP mag.jpg

+1 for the Norma Magnum options! Lots of impressive Improved options out there. Considering COAL and magazine feeding, it seems most practical if you plan to hunt with it. "Practical" always being relative I guess...

Last edited:
I have done both the NMI and the LMI 30 cals
300 nmi gets 3190 fps with a 230 otm in a 26in. 9 twist proof and N570
300 lmi gets 3260 with a 230 hybrid in a 27 in. 10 twist broughton with n570
Both are mag fed
The lmi uses a seekins detachable
mag which is no longer available
The nmi uses Hawkins bottom metal and a wyatts extended box

It's hard not to get caught up in the max velocity game. When building my big 338, I kept going back and forth between the 338 Lapua AI, the 338 Edge and the 338 RUM. All shot within 125 fps of each other. I finally realized that the difference was insignificant, as I never shot game at the end of my barrel. If you run all those cartridge ballistics out to 800+ yds using the same bullet, you will find that the difference in your velocity spread has dropped to 50 fps or so. Statistically insignificant. Base your decision on other factors discussed above such as: availability of the brass, cost in $ & time to prep the brass, cost of bottom metal & mag if a repeater is part of your game plan, availability of dies/reamers, etc.

It's hard not to get caught up in the max velocity game. When building my big 338, I kept going back and forth between the 338 Lapua AI, the 338 Edge and the 338 RUM. All shot within 125 fps of each other. I finally realized that the difference was insignificant, as I never shot game at the end of my barrel. If you run all those cartridge ballistics out to 800+ yds using the same bullet, you will find that the difference in your velocity spread has dropped to 50 fps or so. Statistically insignificant. Base your decision on other factors discussed above such as: availability of the brass, cost in $ & time to prep the brass, cost of bottom metal & mag if a repeater is part of your game plan, availability of dies/reamers, etc.
This is probably the most practical suggestion I've seen.

Well if your in need of a hot rod 30 cal, you would be hard pressed to find a better one than a 30x378.
But if your looking for a nice cartridge for a long range hunting gun, capable of handling easily the distance most animals are killed, then a 300 Norma would be my choice.
Forget the heavy bullets in 30 cal, just go to a large 338 and be done with it.