300 Lapua Mag

After looking at both cartridges in the Load From A Disc cartridge data base that is exactly what it appears to be.
Wayne

I could be wrong but I believe this is known here as a 30 Wolf. I was thinking about going this route myself rather than the 300RUM because the brass is awesome.
smile.gif

I believe that Northern is correct about the 30 Wolf, however, I believe that it has an improved shoulder angle too.

Either S1 or STL (on this board) has a 30 Wolf and could give you some first hand info on this cartridge.

VH

My understanding of the 300 LM is that it's out of production and no Lapua brass is available from the factory. If anyone on this board has a couple of hundered stashed away, email me. Surely some gunshop, especially in Finland, should have a some.
db

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Lapua ever made a 300? If so I would like to hear all about it in fact I would have most likely purchased one rather than the 300 Winnie I bought.
smile.gif

Yeah, Lapua did make the 300 Lapua Mag. I have load data for it in a Vhitivouri manual. I also just received a blueprint of the case from Lapua. I was thinking it would be a lot easier to build a 300 LM from the original cases then to go to the trouble of necking the 338 LM down and fireforming as some have. Any help from Finland?
db

The 30 Wolf is the 338 Lapua necked down, shoulder moved forward, shoulder angle increased to 35 degrees and shoulder diameter blown out to something like .570". It's quite a bit improved from the 300 Lapua which is just the 338 necked down to 30cal. S1 at AR Tactical designed it and I believe it holds about 121grs of water which is at least 10grs more than the 300 Lapua.
Wayne

Wayne,

Yes, I have been in contact with Sam and am planning a Wolf. I have the bbl and action already.

NorthernSniper,

Just informed by Janne at Nammo that production of the 300 LM was very limited because they began development of the 338 LM. So I doubt if anyone will ever find any brass unless it is in a box in the basement of Nammo that everyone has forgotten about. I had my hopes up though.

db

Anybody have any thoughts on whether or not there is really much gained by changing the shoulder angle to 35 degrees? O.K. by enlarging the case you increase the powder capacity but why go to the trouble of changing the shoulder angle? When I reloaded Warbird cases I found the increased shoulder angle created a pinch point where the neck meets the shoulder. What about brass for the 30 Wolf? is there enough brass in a 338 LM case to accomadate these changes or do you have to start with a completely different case?
confused.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.