300 H & H

lhedrick1

Alright. This is a 400 yard gun. I've posted a few pics previously and I intend to hunt with it. Deer and elk, what would be the best all around bullet to load?

180 gr Swift Scirocco II
180 gr /200 gr Partition
165/180 gr Accubond
150 gr Barnes TTSX
180 gr Lapua
165 gr Remington Accutip (SST)
168+ Berger VLD
180gr Core Lokts (I have a factory box from the 70s or 80s and these shoot the best lol)

I've also just acquired a pre 64 model 70 in same cartidge so will be interesting to see what bullet choice yall like for this round.
20210211_185659.jpg

That cartridge does really well with the heavier bullets, so my vote is the 200 partition. Not sure what powders you have, but you should be able to push those 2900+

That cartridge does really well with the heavier bullets, so my vote is the 200 partition. Not sure what powders you have, but you should be able to push those 2900+

It's not a gun built for hot rodding I don't think. But 4350 4831 h1000 rl25/26 imr7828 are all on the bench that seem suited for this cartidge. 200 gr bullet seems plenty for a mule deer but if it shoots good wth

It's not a gun built for hot rodding I don't think. But 4350 4831 h1000 rl25/26 imr7828 are all on the bench that seem suited for this cartidge. 200 gr bullet seems plenty for a mule deer but if it shoots good wth
Yes, those numbers I posted are achievable, safe loads. R26 will get that bullet to 3000 I think.

I just took a few minutes reviewing information from loaddata.com, and found 8 published loads that give 2900 fps from 200 grain bullets, and the .300 H&H

A variety of bullet manufacturers, a variety of sources, 24", and 26" barrels, some old powders, some not available now, some new powders not available back in the day.

One should never reload to someone else's expectations, or comfort level, and it's a very useful cartridge even at milder levels.

We aren't using cordite any longer, and all the improvements that have increased performance levels of more recently developed cartridges, also increase the potential of this old timer.

Be safe! Have fun!

Alright. This is a 400 yard gun. I've posted a few pics previously and I intend to hunt with it. Deer and elk, what would be the best all around bullet to load?

180 gr Swift Scirocco II
180 gr /200 gr Partition
165/180 gr Accubond
150 gr Barnes TTSX
180 gr Lapua
165 gr Remington Accutip (SST)
168+ Berger VLD
180gr Core Lokts (I have a factory box from the 70s or 80s and these shoot the best lol)

I've also just acquired a pre 64 model 70 in same cartidge so will be interesting to see what bullet choice yall like for this round.
View attachment 269459
That's almost to pretty to hunt with.

I've had great luck running 71gr of RL22 behind a 180gr Accubond in my pre 64 model 70. Consistently shoots .5" groups at 100yd as long as I do my part. The ABs are going 3,017fps and have proved to be great elk medicine. I could probably squeeze a little more out of it, but it shoots too good where it's at. I have shot a handful of elk, mule deer, and antelope with this gun with the longest shot on an elk being 360yd, longest shot on a deer was 420yd, and all antelope have been shot between 300-350yd. I've stretched it out farther on paper, but have never needed to shoot an animal that far. I agree with FEENIX, any of the bullets you listed will do just fine on elk up to 400.

I built a 300 H&H on a P17 BSA action many years ago. Installed a Fajen stock and a Timney trigger and did the load development before handing it off to a friend. Nice caliber, would shoot 180 grain bullets at 3000fps into tight groups all day long and didn't kick badly. I kept my eye out for a classic in that caliber for many years afterward but finally gave up due to gun safe overload. It remains my favourite of the 30 cal. magnums. Nice purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.