.300 H&H Magnum

Sully2

Anyone using a 300 H&H for anything? Target work; hunting, gallon milk jug killing...?? ANything?

If so what do you think of it?

Im thinking of one with a 26" barrel as an overall long range gun.

Sully

shot one in college, team type 1000 yd. stuff. rem 721's with "med' heavy bbl's

shot extremely well, then in the early 70's got "magnumitis" and sold it.
IDIOT, been looking for one ever since.

Great round for all that was mentioned. Sad day when I admitted mine was shot out. Should have rebarreled another 300 H & H. Next time for sure.

Thanks for your input guys. Im thinking on having one built up. SST Rem 700 action....26" SST barrel....and so on. Use 190gr Sierra's in it and shoot into the next county!!

Logistics, have your brass first. It got scarce for a bit several years back. Nosler makes it now, but inboxes of 25 for more than a box of 50. Keep an eye out for the new Nosler long range Accubond if the 190 is what its claimed to be, I'd start there.

Same case capacity as a 300 wsm, so it'll play the same game as that round. My brother shoots one in a #1 ruger with rem brass and it's a good rifle.

Any other input???

I just started a Stevens 200 rebuild with a McGowen 26" varmint contour barrel in 300 H&H. Haven't settled on a good stock yet so I just put the Plastic one back on and shot it that way. Nothing spectacular yet, but hopefully with good scope and stock I'll see some impressive results.

I've owned a couple of different rifles in the original .300 magnum and I've loved every one of them. I bought a Remington 721 from a cowboy in Arizona who carried it in a saddle scabbard. It was dirty with some wear from the scabbard, but he kept the bore and action clean and it hadn't been shot much at all. After a bit of accurizing work and some cosmetic repairs, I had that rifle shooting incredibly well with everything from a 120 gr. to a 190 gr. BTSP. I now have a 700 Classic (made in 1983) with a little custom work done and I have a Sako Safari in .300 H&H on the way.

You'll find that the .300 H&H is extremely versatile. The case design, unlike the other .30 magnums, allows for a lot of latitude in bullet length and seating depths, lets you tailor your handloads to exactly what the rifle likes and I've never found the recoil uncomfortable at all. Needless to say, I'm a big fan.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.