.300 Win Mag VS 375 H&H

375 H&H or .300 Win Mag

• 375 H&H

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • .300 Win Mag

Votes: 42 82.4%

• Total voters
It depends on the bullet used. As there are some custom bullets with very high BC for the 375 H&H. Cutting Edge bullets offer some 375 caliber bullets with BC ranging from 0.337 BC 235gr to 1.07 452gr and I'm sure some very impressive 30 caliber bullets for the 300 Winchester

Hello all,
My father and I have been arguing about what cartridge is superior. He just got a Blaser R8 in 375 H&H and I have a LR-1000 in .300 WM arriving next month. I'm really only interested in N. America for the time being. It seems to me that the .300 begins to outshine the 375 in ft/lbs of energy between 400 and 600 yards depending on the bullet grains and bc. If you all had to choose one cartridge for elk, deer, pig and maybe bear in N. America which one and why?

Your dad is a smart man and have very good taste in rifle. :):cool::D

I too would pick the .375 H&H ...

GRIZZLY BEAR.jpg

My confidence in the .308's for bigger bear has increased since this thread started, qand new bullets have established their efficacy.

Keep in mind you're hearing that from someone likely to be buried with his .375, just to spare hurt feelings over who get it.

I have the option of many cartridges.....yet have used "only" the 3/8" bore since 1982 "ish"! So far, only in NA....on everything from prairie dogs to moose, from under 10 yards, to over 400 yards. I have no intention of changing what has worked so well for me! memtb

No disagreement on the effectiveness of .375's past or present.

The improvements in all aspects of the game, seen in the last 100 years, the last 40 years, and the last 5 years though are real.

Granted those improvements make the .375's better than they have ever been as well, but those changes have made "lesser" calibers a lot more usable in my mind.

In my opinion the .300 WM is more useful on NA animals. It does not mean it is better (define better). LR, more than adequate for the animals listed, again except for some of the largest bears. But, if you are going to go on a once in a lifetime Brown, Grzzly, Polar Bear hunt (not importable to USA) and spend $30K and up buy (borrow) a bigger rifle.

I have several rifles including a .375 H&H I used on dangerous game in RSO. But, 10 species of Plains Game were all shot with my .30-06.

The 375 has an advantage only against brown bear. For everything else the 300 is the clear winner. 300 shoots flatter, has enough energy, and recoils less. For long range it isn't even close because of the superior 308 bullets.
Was raised at a hunting lodge. Generally .375h&h is a decent gun, but isn't as good for bear as a .300 win. Has a lot of kinetic shock, but not enough penetration. Switched to .338/.300, and the bears stopped getting back up so much after a clean lung/heart shot. Bears have a tough skeleton and a marbled meat. It means it can take a huge kinetic hit, but will clot up and keep going unless a vital is destroyed. Our. 375 collects dust in preference to a .338 and a 45-70 for brush.
Akadventure.com

Last edited:
Was raised at a hunting lodge. Generally .375h&h is a decent gun, but isn't as good for bear as a .300 win. Has a lot of kinetic shock, but not enough penetration. Switched to .338/.300, and the bears stopped getting back up so much after a clean lung/heart shot. Our. 375 collects dust in preference to a .338 and a 45-70 for brush.
Akadventure.com

If you can shoot through them end to end…..what more can be expected or wanted! Unless a very large bear…..I'd be pretty disappointed if I didn't get end to end penetration!

Perhaps a "**** poor" choice of bullets! 🤔 I, for 2 hunting seasons, used a 300 grain bullet in my H&H that wouldn't exit a deer or decent sized Black Bear.….both broadside shots! Proper bullet selection can cure a lot of supposed ills with any cartridge! memtb