30-06 compressed loads

Another thing to check may be your scale.Weigh one of your bullets if you don't have any calibration weights.They should weigh + or - .1 of 150grs.At least you should be able to rule out a scale issue.

Quick Load also shows over full case. I try to limit compressed loads to 105% as higher percentage starts giving extrusion of bullets. I used a COL that ensures enough contact between bullet shank and case neck for proper neck tension and alignment. I used a 24 inch barrel and have calculated to Node 4.

This calculation indicates that a faster propellant will be better, that is why I used CFE223 and found a good match. Same pressure, 95% case fill and speed up to 3010fps at Node 4.

Attachments

• 30-06 H4350 Hornady 150 SST.png
    30-06 H4350 Hornady 150 SST.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 83
Besides the options posted to settle powder volume you want, do you have to have that much?

Meaning, are you looking for a specific velocity or will slightly less powder (near or at compressed) work if you have the accuracy you want at a slightly slower velocity?

My '06 150gr loads are running about 2900 (pretty sure, memory... and with another powder) just in case my daughters want to shoot/hunt. I could go to the next node but this works well for white tails and targets.

Hope this helps
No not looking for any particular speeds so I will probably just work up to the compressed load and see what I get. I don't want to get into compressed loads. If it's not what I want mail try a different Weight bullet.

I have no idea as to what COL will work with your rifle, so I have used 83mm. If a speed close to 2730fps is adequate then the info below meets your criteria.

Attachments

• 30-06 H4350 Hornady 150 SST Node 5.png
    30-06 H4350 Hornady 150 SST Node 5.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 83
Thanks for all the great info guys, I have learned a lot. As far as powder goes, I have no interest in using a powder that is not temperature stable for the simple reason of we shoot in temps +20c and hunt in temps as low as -20c.so the less the temps messes with the powder the better. The reason I'm trying to stay with h4350 is I have 5 lbs of it. If things don't work out with the 150's I will try a different bullet

No not looking for any particular speeds so I will probably just work up to the compressed load and see what I get. I don't want to get into compressed loads. If it's not what I want mail try a different Weight bullet.

Personally I like to get a case as full as I can, little crunch is fine. I get better/more consistent loads. Good luck and have fun!

My '06 prefers 165/168s, when I burn up the rest of the 150s I have loaded up I am going back.

Watch for pressure signs, like a difficult bolt lift. Heaver Brass means less internal room in the case, and that means even more pressure. That's torturing the brass and the rifle. Sorry Im just not a fan of Super compressed loads. If you need more power that the 06 offers , make it an A.I. , or go get a 300 Win mag .

IMR 4064 works very good in a 06 with a 150. So does staball 6.5. Some calibers and powders do fine with compressed loads and some do not. In a 338 rum and R25 adding more powder and compressing I lost velocity. Same thing with a 28 nosler and a 300 prc with R26. A weird phenomena. Maybe by compressing the flame can,t progress as well? Just a guess.

I figured out that setting my loading block on the dryer for about 15min settles the powder really well. Throw in your skivies and some wet jeans and the dryer vibrates nicely. I settled 59.0 grains of H1000 in some 6.5PRC loads before I seated some Hammers. These loads are compressed and the seating operation came out very consistent measuring every round for seating depth-CBTO.

I figured out that setting my loading block on the dryer for about 15min settles the powder really well. Throw in your skivies and some wet jeans and the dryer vibrates nicely. I settled 59.0 grains of H1000 in some 6.5PRC loads before I seated some Hammers. These loads are compressed and the seating operation came out very consistent measuring every round for seating depth-CBTO.
I love it. This is not just thinking out of the box. That is having the "box" work for you.

H4350 is probably the best all around powder for the 06. It should work very well in Canadian environment. Most of my handloads are compressed in the 06. I shoot a lot of H4895 with the 150s and get excellent accuracy. I also have some hunting loads using the 150s and H4350 that are accurate.

For the record, I find the most temperature sensitive powder (at least in my 06s) has been CFE223. I have about 3/4 lb left and nothing to use it in as I will not use it any more.

bstomper: I am confident that you will find the load you are looking for. Maybe go to an interlock. I shoot a lot of Speer bullets when I can find them, and these days I also shoot a lot of Accubond.

Good luck

IMR 4064 works very good in a 06 with a 150. So does staball 6.5. Some calibers and powders do fine with compressed loads and some do not. In a 338 rum and R25 adding more powder and compressing I lost velocity. Same thing with a 28 nosler and a 300 prc with R26. A weird phenomena. Maybe by compressing the flame can,t progress as well? Just a guess.

There is some good information about this in the Lee loading book. He talks about pressure and velocity decreasing with some compressed loads.