30-06 compressed loads

bstomper

I have started reloading for my sons 30-06 using hornady sst 150gn, rem brass and H4350. The hornady manual says the max for 4350 is 61.6 gns. I start getting compressed loads at 58 gns. How in the hell is 61.6 gns suposed to fit in the 30-06 case.
Not sure where to go from here, Drop down further and work up the where I run out of room in the case?? Help would greatly be appreciated on this.

You must have an ancient manual.

Hdgdon site says.

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 11.44.58 PM.png

A sonic tooth brush after a drop tube may settle the charge, but may not be at the 61.6. Just an experiment for you to try. The updated manual above may be all you get. Let us know how you do. Just, work up to the load in increments to be sure you don't directly jump into a serious over pressure. Maybe increments of .2 gr past max shown above. Be safe.

Yes, the OP had a picture of the Hornady page and Hodgdon also has a load for it. My Lyman 49th and my Nosler do not. I have a lot of friends shooting 150 30-06 and none of them was using it for this light of bullet. That's why my question. I hate recommending a different powder when someone is asking about a specific, and I did not recommend one.

Actually it's the recent hornady manual and I'm using 150 gn bullets not the 180 gn. Having said that I did check out the hogdon site also and it did say that 57.8 gns is a compressed load.

I too have the latest edition (10th) and it is exactly as you noted/posted. What is your COAL? They recommend 3.21" but I normally set mine at ~3.34" depending on bullet type/weight. "I" would try playing with the seating depth, > than 3.21" "if," you can. You have to find the best compromise between the CBTO vs COAL and velocity vs accuracy. What's on the manual is a guide that Hornady tested but I would heed warning on the "actual" pressure signs you are getting. H4350 is an excellent powder for the 150s, esp. for the -06. Good luck!