284 winchester

I think for lots of folks reamer specs are overlooked or at most an afterthought. For me, it's the first consideration. If you plan ahead, you can get by in a short Winchester or a modified something or other. However, when you just tell the smith you want a 284, you can get yourself in a pickle relatively quickly.

If you don't mind a long action, it's another viable option. However, with the wrong reamer, you might as well build on a short action anyway.

One thing no one has mention is 284 case capacity.

30-06 ---69gr H20
270 ------68gr
280-------67gr
284-------66gr
7x57------59gr
7-08-------56gr

Hodgdon Manual 26 (1992) used same loading data for 30-06 and 30x284 and they also had data for 257x284 and 6x284.

284 always been good case.

Both my son and I have 284s built on long actions, I can seat the 180 Lapua Scenar out so the bottom of the bearing surface meets the neck/shoulder junction perfectly. In my rifle with a 28" barrel I am running a mild load of H4831SC, Lapua brass, CCI BR2 and the aforementioned 180 grain Lapua Scenar at 2800fps, accuracy is awesome and brass seems to last a long time. And it is an absolute HAMMER on the long range steel!

Thanks Ramrod, I really suspected that the long action was the best route I'm sure it would be using 168's
red dawg,
Make sure its either a Remington or Winchester long action. That's all I believe Wyatts Out door Custom Rifles makes the extended magazine boxes for. The y also list gunsmiths that stock and install them also.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.