284 Winchester Velocities

barnesuser28

What kinda velocities can i expect from a 284 winchester shooting 168 grain bullets from a 28"-30" barrel with H4831.

Most likely you'd be 2900-3000fps with max loads depending on barrel length. A good friend of mine shoots 162 Amax's around 3020fps in his 30" barrel. I'm in the low 2900's with my 26" barreled .284.

So do you think i could get 2975 out of a 28" barrel shooting 168 grain Barnes Lrx? The 284 Winchester is an awesome cartridge!

That might be pushing it with a 28" barrel. Does it really matter if it's 2900fps or 2975fps when your dialing up a scope? A little more wind drift and a few more clicks shouldn't make you miss.

***.284 WIN LOADS*** - Sniper's Hide Forums

Try this ^^^ some good data there... BTW, you can't build a 284 'cause i'm toying with the idea too..:D

As you will see, most guys are using 180 Bergers & getting ~3K!! That's pretty freakin sweet. Would be even better with the 195 EOL's...
Thanks for the link! When i shoot out the barrel on a 6.5x284 Savage F-Class i have i am going to get a new barrel in 284 winchester.

I was thinking about a 6.5 wsm but relized that i would need custom dies and i wouldnt have Lapua brass.

It is a singleshot so i can seat them waaayyy out there to get the most velocity i can. I want to use H4831 for the temp stability.

I think i am going to go with a 29" brux 1:8.5 twist so when the 195 EOL comes out i can shoot it.

I will use the bergers for practice and use the Barnes 168 LRX for hunting.

I would need someone to chamber it for me. We have i smith in town but i dont think i would trust him to chamber it. Do you know anyone that would chamber it and make the freebore the length that i need it and not cost me an arm and a leg.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.