284 winchester

red dawg

Hey guy's, could a short action fit a 284 with the high bc bullet's or would it need a longer magazine ? I have a 22 250 that needs a face lift. All opinions will be appreciated

It will need a longer magazine unless you seat the bullets deep. You could get a Wyatt's extended mag box for it, or go with a different cartridge. If you aren't dead set on the .284, a 6.5 Creedmoor is a great option for a short action and you can seat long high BC bullets out there and they'll still fit and feed.

Some rifles will need some work to get the steep shouldered rebated rim case to feed properly.

You didn't mention who made your rifle. I have a very skilled gunsmith that lengthened my Ruger tang safety magbox to 3.1". Perhaps your gunsmith can do same with your rifle if it is possible.

I'm thinking about the original 284 with 140 or 168 vld's berger more than likely. I may go the gun show route and pick up a long action to build on, but still leaves my 22 250 in the safe collecting cob webs.

I Ran a custom Rem Model 7 in a 284 win ,and I used 140 TTSX had to seat deep but the load was very accurate ,and worked well ,and no feeding issues if I had to do again I would go LA though just so bullet selection was not limited .

Thanks Ramrod, I really suspected that the long action was the best route I'm sure it would be using 168's

I'm thinking about the original 284 with 140 or 168 vld's berger more than likely. I may go the gun show route and pick up a long action to build on, but still leaves my 22 250 in the safe collecting cob webs.

I have my 284 on long action and did the same when I had 6.5X284 Norma build COL 3.228" and never had a problem feeding.

Well good luck

The aforementioned Ruger M77 tang safety with lengthened mag box is currently shooting the 168 VLD @ 2835 fps with 53 gr of RL-17. OAL is 3.050"

If I were to go with a long action for the 284 it would be long throated and twisted fast enough to shoot the 180s. Otherwise a short action would work fine.

Heck when I had to deal with the original 2.9" Ruger mag box I was able to shoot 140 and 160 partitions with a 2.850" OAL. Still got 2950 fps with 140s and 2800 fps with the 160. It was my only rifle and it worked fine for coues wt, elk, javelina, coyotes and jackrabbits till I acquired other rifles. It is still one of my favorite rifles

I'm currently building a 284 on a Winchester classic short action. With a magazine length of 3.125" and a little bit of thought into the reamer, it's what some would call a perfect combination. I don't believe in making cartridges into something they are not. I'll shoot bullets up to the 168 classic Hunter, which is what my reamer is best suited for.

I probably wouldn't build one in a Remington action.

Berger Manual has loading data for the SAAMI Spec 284 COAL 2.800" with 140gr,168gr and 180gr VLD. 140gr @ mid 3000fps,168gr mid 2700fps and 180gr mid 2600fps from 24" barrel.

The 168gr VLD bullet from ogive forward it's app .763" and 180gr VLD is appr .764

If I was to load 168gr VLD for my 284 and have .290 of the bearing surface in the neck my OAL would be appr 3.100" and using 180gr VLD and same .290 in the neck OAL would appr 3.200". You have the BT in the shoulders and not is the case body.

I don't think you can go wrong using either size action just boys and their toys

I'm running a 284 win built off a Stevens 200 short action. Te throat is a little shorter than I wanted with the boat tail/baring surface junction being in the shoulder of the case with the 180s. With the excessively long barrel im running in still getting the velocity I wanted. But even with a shorter than ideal throat length the cartridge is too long for feeding Through the magazine. The shorter and more blunt 168 SMk or shorter bullets might feed but the 180s wont. Atleast not in my rifle anyway.

Kyle

I have my 284 on long action and did the same when I had 6.5X284 Norma build COL 3.228" and never had a problem feeding.

+1

I built my 284 on a long remmy action. And it was a good thing because some of my loads went to 3.3 inches COAL. 150 BT, 162 SST, and 168 CH all shot well when loaded long. Never had a problem feeding.

I no longer have that rifle. Some body wanted it more than me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.