280 Rem or AI

muleyman

With 150-160 grn bullets and not shooting any animals out past 700-800 yards, is there any REAL advantage in the AI version to offset the price of already made brass or the cost of components to make your own.

I shoot a 280 AI.

With that being said , the answer to your question is ''probably not'', IMO.

As far as the cost of making up your own brass for the AI; I don't see an increased cost factor, just some time. My forming loads are more than capable to hunt with if needed and are just as accurate as formed brass so the range time is not "wasted".

I also have and shoot a straight 280 and in reality it doesn't give up much even when I get out to 1K +. I am more the limiting factor!!!

FWIW
Wes

I shoot a 280 AI.

With that being said , the answer to your question is ''probably not'', IMO.

As far as the cost of making up your own brass for the AI; I don't see an increased cost factor, just some time. My forming loads are more than capable to hunt with if needed and are just as accurate as formed brass so the range time is not "wasted".

I also have and shoot a straight 280 and in reality it doesn't give up much even when I get out to 1K +. I am more the limiting factor!!!

FWIW
Wes
What vel. could you see with say 140 bt with the AI 22-24" barrel?
mike

My 280AI is built on a M700 action with a Hart #5 24" barrel.
I'm shooting the 160 gr AB at 3000 fps and the 140 gr AB at 3240 fps with RL 22.

JD338

Correct me if I am wrong, but the beauty of the .280AI is that it is a very efficient cartridge in that it gives the maximum velocity, for the given powder charge. Basically it is 98% of a 7mm Rem Mag with 90% of the powder. Additionally, other than having your barrel "reamed" and fireforming your brass, there is no real difference to the day to day use, other than you can't really buy factory ammo. Though you can use standard .280 factory ammo, but not likely as accurately.

So, if you don't want to spend the money to ream your gun or take the time to fireform and trim the brass and are happy with having say 5% less performance than stick with the standard .280.

While it sounds like I am recommending the AI, my son has a .280 and I haven't converted it either. Doesn't mean I shouldn't.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.