280 AI or 6.5x284

elkslayerjc

O.k fellas, I need some help figuring which of the two calibers has better long range balistics. A 280 AI or a 6.5x284. Im looking to build a long range deer rifle out to 1000+ yards and I have an Rem 700 action in 30-06 that I want to re-barrel.... Any input would be great.. Thanks

Depending on the loads and the size of the deer either can get the job done at 1K.

The 280AI has more potential than the 6.5x284 period. The 280AI will hit harder and drift less but will recoil harder. Not much of a concern for a hunting rifle. The 280AI offers heavier bullets with higher BC's than the 6.5. Yes, weight for weight the 6.5 wins but 140-142 grains is about it for high BC bullets for the 6.5. The 7mm offers 162-180 grain bullets which all have higher BC's than anything the 6.5 offers. At least for main stream bullet manufacturers.

I have been using a 6.5x284 recently and so far I love it. I would also love a 280AI. I don't like recoil. Even in a hunting rifle. I don't like brakes either. The 6.5x284 is a logical choice for me when it comes to a 1K yard deer, antelope and sheep rifle. For elk, I would rather have the 280AI or bigger versus the 6.5x284.

M

Michael, Thanks for the information. I will more than likely build a 280 AI for deer. I just needed reasurance on the caliber. Thanks again gun)

I hear good things about the 6.5-284.....However, I am a 7mm nut, so I would lean to the .280 AI.

A .280 AI with some 168 Berger VLD's would be one nasty deer rig. And actually, my next full-on custom build will be a .280 AI for whitetails. But my next semi-custom will be rebarreling my A-Bolt II 7Mag with a new heavier contour barrel, so I can also get rid of my BOSS on the end that keeps unscrewing itself during days at the range, and throwing off my groups...Plus it's just a good excuse to put a custom barrel and true up the action. :D

7mmRemMag is also an excellent whitetail cartridge for up to 1K. And for up to 750 yards or so, the 7mm-08 is also a great low-recoil deer caliber, if you have an old short-action laying around. If you want whitetails beyond 1,000....The 7mmSTW will treat you right. I have all of the above in my arsenal at home...Or as I call them, my holy trinity (7mm-08, 7mm RemMag, 7mmSTW)....Get it? 777....Holy Trinity? Sorry, I have a weird sense of humor.

Just remember, there's a 7mm caliber for every purpose. And, you can kill anything in North America (probably the world) with a well-placed shot from a 7mm rifle. You don't always have to have a Howitzer, like some folks will tell you.

How did your 280 AI turn out? Im saving cash right now to start a build on one.

Seems like the OP quit posting shortly after asking and it's been almost year since his last post.

Before I had my 280AI build I had 6.5x284 Norma build was a tight neck .290 and build by Mike Bryant and it was on long action throated for the 140/142gr VLD and barrel was 28" long. I was going to use it for antelope also LR varmint rifle.

Reason I had 280AI build wanted something as deer/elk rifle use same season tags also 280AI before new stock,barrel etc was a Rem SS 700 280 so it had little history with me.

here picture of my 280AI

http://mail.aol.com/37288-111/aol-6...ent.aspx?uid=29047424&folder=OldMail&partId=7

This is picture 243AI I had build

http://mail.aol.com/37288-111/aol-6...ent.aspx?uid=29047424&folder=OldMail&partId=4

Well good luck

Crap....I didn't even notice the date on it.......

I hate it when really old threads get revived, and are no longer relevant...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.