280 AI

Thanks. This project is going to be a poor boy build lol. I have an old savage 30:06 that is about a 2 moa shooter. Rebarrel, glass bed, refinish stock, new trigger. Biggest decision now is barrel taper,length. If threading for a can that will dictate min contour. The plan is a 7 1/2-8 # rifle. Already have a 9+ # custom 7 mag.
Just curious but I am interested in how much do you think the final cost will be not including glass ? I am thinking of taking an old 110 30-06 I bought at a auction & try my luck at a custom build of my own. I have been trying to decide on a caliber. And after reading about the 6XC off a earlier forum today. I would like to consider this if possible. I definitely need to research a little more to see if parts & components are going to be available. I won't be doing a can but would like to put a brake on.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/6xc/

Just curious but I am interested in how much do you think the final cost will be not including glass ? I am thinking of taking an old 110 30-06 I bought at a auction & try my luck at a custom build of my own. I have been trying to decide on a caliber. And after reading about the 6XC off a earlier forum today. I would like to consider this if possible. I definitely need to research a little more to see if parts & components are going to be available. I won't be doing a can but would like to put a brake on.

It would work fine but you really don't need a long action for it. With a single shot follower, you'd probably like it. By the time you buy a barrel, dies, and brass, I'd say you'd probably have 6-7 bills in it. I don't know why you'd want to put a brake on it, but each to his own.

They all vary, depending on: Inside barrel finish/quality, bullets used and "witchcraft". 🥴😁Lol.
My last 280ai took 200 rds, which was more than average, and it was a Bartlein barrel.
Most folks say at about 100 rds.
Is this where these should be used ?

IDK, if he has the donor action. $800 for a cambered barrel, $200 for the brake, $700 for a stock and $2K for a scope Makes $3700. Toss in $200 for dies and another $200 for brass and still at $4100. Use the existing stock and save $700.

Lot's of ways to look at it.

Regular ammo will break most barrels in fine. Unless you have a really rough barrel that refuses to cooperate I (personally) would not subscribe to that.
Is this where these should be used ?

It would work fine but you really don't need a long action for it. With a single shot follower, you'd probably like it. By the time you buy a barrel, dies, and brass, I'd say you'd probably have 6-7 bills in it. I don't know why you'd want to put a brake on it, but each to his own.
This is the only rifle I have that I would want to use for a custom. And I got it fairly cheap. And would prefer it not to be a single shot. As far as the brake. I guess I don't need it for this barrel. I am still open to options for a caliber. If you have a better suggestion. I have just remembered I have fairly new dies for a 280 Rem but not the 280 AI. Maybe I should consider going this route for a cheap build to start with ?

Last edited:

A criterion or shilen prefit from Northland shooters supply runs about $350
The action wrench and barrel nut wrench run about $95. Throw in another $60 for a new nut and recoil lug.
$70 for go, nogo gauges.
A glass bedding kit $40.
So with shipping etc if reusing the original stock I think I can do it for $650 ish.

This is the only rifle I have that I would want to use for a custom. And I got it fairly cheap. And would prefer it not to be a single shot. As far as the brake. I guess I don't need it for this barrel. I am still open to options for a caliber. If you have a better suggestion. I have just remembered I have fairly new dies for a 280 Rem but not the 280 AI. Maybe I should consider going this route for a cheap build to start with ?
There isn't anything wrong with a straight 280. If the rifle fed 30-06 fine, then it will feed 280. Going with the Ackley for more performance is ok if that's what you want, but it comes with a price of burning more powder and shorter barrel life. Also, you need to check on availability of brass for whatever you choose. Some calibers are pretty tough to find. It depends on what you want to do with the rifle. Will it be a standard woods deer rifle, a long range rifle, something to shoot varmints or just something to shoot off the bench?

There isn't anything wrong with a straight 280. If the rifle fed 30-06 fine, then it will feed 280. Going with the Ackley for more performance is ok if that's what you want, but it comes with a price of burning more powder and shorter barrel life. Also, you need to check on availability of brass for whatever you choose. Some calibers are pretty tough to find. It depends on what you want to do with the rifle. Will it be a standard woods deer rifle, a long range rifle, something to shoot varmints or just something to shoot off the bench?
I would like to go 700 yard deer rifle & some bench shooting. Not competition.

About 1 1/2 years ago, I looked at using an 06 case to changing it to AI configuration. I stumble around and found the 280AI case. It's about .01 longer from base to shoulder. Shoulder angle changes to the better as far as I am concerned. What got me really going was the possibilities of adding more powder into the case. I was going to have a 6mm/06AI chamber reamer built.
So I have a 6mm/280AI chamber rifle built now. Still finishing up one item yet. Then I'll be ready to reload and start shooting the rifle. First wildcat I have ever had buillt. It's been a rabbit hole for reloading, but found to be very interesting. Not the case, but equipment change to update my reloading gear.
Graf & Son, Brownell, Midway, has Nosler brass on hand. Other don't seem to have any at this time. I would say that 280AI brass is somewhat hard to get, but what isn't presently.
What I don't know presently if 06, or other type of brass will fireform to that chamber, because it's longer to the shoulder. Or what problem it will cause or case life.
I presently setting up to have a 25/280AI reamer built, and starting on my second wildcat cartridge rifle built. The best part of this is I don't have to add alot of reloading equipment this time.
The one thing as among others is. The COAL in case length of case being shorter than what the SMMI standard is. So this time I am having my reamer built with that taken into account. So I can cut all my cases to all the same length to start with. So the case matches the chamber length withing a thousand or so.

About 1 1/2 years ago, I looked at using an 06 case to changing it to AI configuration. I stumble around and found the 280AI case. It's about .01 longer from base to shoulder. Shoulder angle changes to the better as far as I am concerned. What got me really going was the possibilities of adding more powder into the case. I was going to have a 6mm/06AI chamber reamer built.
So I have a 6mm/280AI chamber rifle built now. Still finishing up one item yet. Then I'll be ready to reload and start shooting the rifle. First wildcat I have ever had buillt. It's been a rabbit hole for reloading, but found to be very interesting. Not the case, but equipment change to update my reloading gear.
Graf & Son, Brownell, Midway, has Nosler brass on hand. Other don't seem to have any at this time. I would say that 280AI brass is somewhat hard to get, but what isn't presently.
What I don't know presently if 06, or other type of brass will fireform to that chamber, because it's longer to the shoulder. Or what problem it will cause or case life.
I presently setting up to have a 25/280AI reamer built, and starting on my second wildcat cartridge rifle built. The best part of this is I don't have to add alot of reloading equipment this time.
The one thing as among others is. The COAL in case length of case being shorter than what the SMMI standard is. So this time I am having my reamer built with that taken into account. So I can cut all my cases to all the same length to start with. So the case matches the chamber length withing a thousand or so.
3006 headspace is shorter. This was to keep someone from shooting it in a 280. As a result you would have to jam a bullet in the lands with a mild load to firform and keep from having a case head separation.