280 AI

I see that this cartridge seems to be getting just a bit more "available" in factory offerings of rifles

it has always caught my eye, but I've never dove in yet

Brass--is it just Hornady and Nosler? or is there another good source of brass?
Factory ammo- still seems like not very many offerings and pretty pricey, but that doesn't concern me too much as I reload (though it is nice to have decent priced factory ammo to shoot for brass in the beginning)
Fire-forming--I have limited time, so I don't care to spend my time fire-forming cases, so "full size brass" cases are a must
velocity-- if you have one, what are you velocities from a 24" barrel?

any thing else about this cartridge I should consider?

You can use anyone's brass. Load up any 280 brass with cheap bullets and just shoot it in the AI. You can neck down '06 and do the same thing. I have 3 of these rifles and I think the Nosler brass is soft but it hardens after the first firing. I can't see anything wrong with Hornady or Nosler ammunition if you choose to not reload. You have many more hurdles ahead that will take priority over the brass. The barrel alone will take up all of your time with how heavy, what twist rate, what crown and how long. Sounds like you have the cart before the horse with brass.

Mine has a 27-1/2" Lilja #2 barrel on it and shoots 150 grain TTSX into 1 hole at 100 yards. I have had great luck with rl-19 even though it isn't the most temp stable. I am planning on working on a load with Rl-23 and ELDX bullets soon. My complete rifle with vx-6 5 rounds off ammo and sling weighs less than 9lbs.

Great forum discussion on my favorite cartridge. Very accurate and can get close to 7 mag velocity if you want to max out your loads. I don't try since accuracy is my first objective with good velocity. Rl 23 gives great accuracy with the 140, 150, 160 grain bullets. I mostly shoot the nos acc on deer/elk/antelope, but there are other fine choices. Not impressed with nos brass but I make it work. Have had to ream primer pockets to std and trim flash holes and then std lengths before weight sorting. Amazing how much brass cshavings you get on what is supposed to be reload ready but I am fussy. Good luck on your journey, it's a superb cartridge.

Following. Still trying to work my way through 300 rounds of factory Norma...

Good thing is the factory shoots 1/2 moa at 100.

Cool i didnt know norma loaded 280ai. Its nice to have options if i ever get in a pinch. I, like most of you, bought 100 pcs. Of the nosler brass and it was high quality to my standards. I weighed all of em and they were within 2 grains or so. Ive fired all of em once and most twice and they still look great.

Barrel is a 9 twist x-caliber[gasp] i know its not a fancy cut rifled masterpiece but it shoots very well. I even shot a box of good ol remington core lokt 140gr. Just to see. And it shot sub moa at 100. And i sure did get a kick out of those puffed up cases when they kicked out lol

Gunworks here in NZ is advertising Norma 280 AI brass. It may be a miss print but they say they have Norma and Nosler.
www.gunworks.co.nz
It may pay to be seated before you see the price.

Only USD140.50/100 cases. If the OP is spendy on everything else for his build, don't think that would be a problem. Seems like he already has 100pcs Norma/Nosler 280AI brass

I have had several 280 AI built, one of my favourite deer hunting cartridges for sure, My Husqvarna HVA Action/Benchmark 24" #1 contour barrel gets 3140 avg velocity with the factory 140gr Accubonds 3150 is advertised velocity, but the great part is it averages 1/4" groups with factory ammo,

I have built two with 26" #1 Benchmark barrels both get 3180 from the same factory ammo

Factory ammo is pricey but it's my hunting rifle.

A few good factory options now, Hornady 162gr ELD-X
Nosler has 6 different offerings

Build one and you'll be very happy

Only USD140.50/100 cases. If the OP is spendy on everything else for his build, don't think that would be a problem. Seems like he already has 100pcs Norma/Nosler 280AI brass[/QUOTE]

The OP would also get the GST off that as well which would probably pay the freight.

I'll jump in since I got my 280ai with a 24" tube and I've been working up loads for it this summer. 160gr. AB with a pretty hot charge of 7828ssc nets just under 3080 with tight(to me) sd and es. Retumbo is a little slower in my gun.

I've never tried reloader brand powders but after reading a lot on here if like to give rl22 a go in this gun.
Try RL-26, it will give you better efficiency and velocity than RL-25 with a grain of less powder with 150 grain and heavier bullets. It keeps S.D. lower too.

Try RL-26, it will give you better efficiency and velocity than RL-25 with a grain of less powder with 150 grain and heavier bullets. It keeps S.D. lower too.
Hornady and Nosler are not very good choices IMO. I have been encouraging people to call or email ADG to make A.I. and Sherman brass at the same time. This would fatten their sales if done together and benefit both groups!
Norma doesn't hold out in 55,000+ pressure, the primers get loose. RWS and Lapua are proven. They last a long, long time in moderate pressure.

Norma doesn't hold out in 55,000+ pressure, the primers get loose. RWS and Lapua are proven. They last a long, long time in moderate pressure.
Neither RWS or Lapua makes a .280 Rem brass, let alone .280AI.
RWS does make a .270 Win brass that could be necked up to .284", trimmed down .015" and fire formed. A viable option if you want to fire form brass like every used to do before it became a standardized cartridge. You could always buy a hydro forming die and get 90% cases.
But Lapua only makes .30-06 Springfield brass, which could be necked down to .284", but they will be .031" short at least, and probably shrink even more when fore forming to .040" or so. You might never get that length growth back by the time case life is over.
And for those that want properly headstamped brass (I couldn't care less myself), those are both a no-go.

Also, RL26 is more temp sensitive than RL23 over about 84°F. Pressure spikes rapidly. That doesn't work for me in AZ. I have not found that with RL23 in my .280AI at all. From 4° to 110°+, shoots within 20fps.

I am going back and forth between the standard 280ai and the 280 Sherman. Kinda want this one to be no fuss, but I can't get the extra performance of the Sherman out of my head. Parts aren't here yet, but the longer I wait the more I want the Sherman.

This is going to be my light weight carry rifle purpose built for 800y elk. About as long as a guy can expect to shoot a light rifle well. Winchester standard long action is the donor, 22" Proof Sendero light, small Pain Killer brake, McMillan Game Warden edge fill stock with blind mag. Barrel will be an 8" twist even though I plan to run our 143g Hammer Hunter. This bullet gives the best ballistics to the intended range. We are running it at 3213fps in a 24" barrel 280ai, comfortable. I am thinking I may get 100fps more with the Sherman and the 22" barrel.

I am excited about this rifle. I think the 280ai is the most snort one can get in a standard long action without doing a wildcat. The Sherman is calling loudly though.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.