280 AI

Longer barrels just let the pressure further accelerate the projectile to a point. In a .22 rimfire a longer than optimum barrel length will be slower than a shorter than optimum. Like has been said in other threads the highest speed will be obtained with the same powders no matter what the length is. The best powders for a given length are not going to be the same when it comes to consistency of standard deviation and extreme spread. You can also run into heavy fouling ie carbon rings prematurely
Giving up 100fps to achieve that can have very long lasting positive effects

Real world speed with a 22" and 140's 160's. Wanting to build a lighter shorter rifle ( already
have a 9# 7 mag) and will be running a can.

Thanks
Are you on FB? Several folks running shorter barrels on the 280 AI group can give you real data. If you run the 155 Absolute Hammer, you can get some impressive velocity.

A few loads for 2 different Hornady bullets, same bullet weight. Rifle is a Savage Ultralight with 22" proof carbon barrel. Unsure why the SST load is slower that the ELD-X load. I need to stretch these out and verify with drops.

H4831, 59.1, .505 moa, 2975 fps, Hornady ELDX, 162 grains, .030 off lands, Nosler brass, Federal 210m, 1700 ft elevation, 78 degrees, SD 16

H4831, 58.8, .415 moa, 2942 FPS, Hornady ELD-X, 162 grains, .030 off lands, Nosler brass, Federal 210m, 1700 ft elevation, 65 degrees

H4831, 58.7, .316 moa, Hornady SST, 162 grain, .030 off the lands (3.310 COAL), Nosler brass, Federal 210 primers, 8-shot chrono test, ES 20, SD 6.3, average velocity 2824fps

I talked with a guy at tbac suppressors about this subject, he said powder burn / barrel length is largely a wives tale that the normal guy should not waste his time worrying about. He also stated "powder that gives highest velocity with long barrels almost always gives highest velocity with short barrels".
626FF626-46E0-43B4-AA14-C61CD3D47619.jpeg

I talked with a guy at tbac suppressors about this subject, he said powder burn / barrel length is largely a wives tale that the normal guy should not waste his time worrying about. He also stated "powder that gives highest velocity with long barrels almost always gives highest velocity with short barrels".
Pressure traces reveal that the powder is burned within the first three inches of the barrel.

Longer barrels simply allow better utilization of the volume of gas.

with 145 Barnes long range tipped bullets I've gotten 3125 FPS with R-19 with a 24" barrel. Groups are under 1 MOA for 5 shots. Drop down to 3050 FPS and the groups are under 1/2 MOA. I've found my Browning X bolt does not like max loads like my custom rifles. I now have three of them in the 280 AI and it seems to be the case with all three.

with 145 Barnes long range tipped bullets I've gotten 3125 FPS with R-19 with a 24" barrel. Groups are under 1 MOA for 5 shots. Drop down to 3050 FPS and the groups are under 1/2 MOA. I've found my Browning X bolt does not like max loads like my custom rifles. I now have three of them in the 280 AI and it seems to be the case with all three.
And no doubt barrel life improves.

Thanks. This project is going to be a poor boy build lol. I have an old savage 30:06 that is about a 2 moa shooter. Rebarrel, glass bed, refinish stock, new trigger. Biggest decision now is barrel taper,length. If threading for a can that will dictate min contour. The plan is a 7 1/2-8 # rifle. Already have a 9+ # custom 7 mag.