280 AI Feeding Problems?

panhandlepr

I have an older LH Rem 3006 that I would like to rebarrel to 280 AI. I recently rebarreled a Rem VLS to 223 AI and it works fine as long as I use a single shot adaptor. It really doesn't feed well when fed from the magizine. This works fine for this rifle as I single load all of my squirrel and p-dog rifles. But, will I experience the same problem with the 280 AI? I don't want to end up with a single shop big game rifle.

You shouldn't have any problems feeding. I have build lots of AI cartriges and very little trouble. You may need to just work on the feed rails a bit to let the larger die case slip out of the magazine.

Dave

Panhandlepr,

The 223 AI is a rough feeder because it is so short with a short bullet extending out of the case neck.

The 280 AI is a much longer case and also a much longer bullet hanging out the end as well. The longer bullet will engage the feed ramp quicker and roll the case out from under the feed rail sooner then the much shorter 223 AI.

I have built alot of AI rifles and the ones based on the 30-06 case are some of the easiest loading of the group. The short ones are the buggers but those on the 06 case seem to load much smoother.

Please realize your putting a 40 degree shoulder on that case and that will always cause some bumps in the feeding but not to the degree of the shorter AI chamberings.

A couple things to help this would be to really polish the undersides of the feed rails and the feed rams as well as making sure the bolt nose forward surface is smooth as well so that the feeding round will more easily roll out from under the feed rail when it is forced over the feed ramp.

ALso, a good chamber bevel is a requirement as well. DO not overdue it and leave unsupported thin case wall but you want as much as you can get while still being safe.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver is right on. Have never has a problem with the 280 AI with the 40 degree shoulder which is harder to feed. The rails are set up for an 06 case so the 280 feeds slick. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for your insight. I'm a retired tool maker and everything you stated makes sense. We tried to do this on the 223 AI, but as you said, the difference is size makes the difference. Guess I'll go ahead with this project. Let you know how it comes out.

Panhandlepr

Panhandlepr,

The problem with the little 223 AI is the geometry of the shoulder as it rides up and over the feed ramp. The short length of the round results in a very steep vertical raise of the front of the case and generally will result in a bind between the top of the chamber, the case shoulder, the bottom mid section of the case body against the feed ramp and the case head against the bolt nose. Generally resulting in a bind that is generally cured by backing off the pressure on the bolt allowing the rounds nose to drop and release all the bind points, then it chambers easily.

The longer rounds have a much shallower approach to the chamber mouth and as such they generally do not have near the problems as the 223 AI in chambering.

Let us know how it turns out, I suspect you will have no problems at all!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.