WSM Feeding Problems"

Browning A-bolt 300 WSM, 7 years old with 650 rounds of reloaded ammo. I've Never had a feeding problem.

i had some feeding issues w/ a brand new remington sps in 270wsm. when the one i orderd finally came in the magazine spring was all bent up and way out of whack. the follower wouldn't even stay in the mag box. i fixed it no real big deal other than paying for something that wasn't right; especially a brand new $700 gun! it feeds pretty good now. i also had to do some polishing around mag area to keep from scatching up cases. they looked pretty bad before doning this. i really like remington actions, but i really feel like the newer ones suck and shouldn't be priced as high; especially some of the higher end models.

Last edited:
I have a winchester mod 70 in .270 wsm. It has the claw extractor on it. It will not chamber the bullets unless you pick up the round from the magazine. This is due to that claw on the bolt. Other than this, I have never had a round fail to extract and never had a round fail to feed into the chamber properly. my experiences have been flawless.

For those shooting Remington 700s or clones Kevin Wyatt (Wyatt Outdoors)has come out with a new version of his center round feed mag box. It is made of 4130CM instead of SS. it is slightly thicker, and is heat treated to make it more rigid.

I have three going into rifles now and from what I have seen it is a great improvement.

Nat Lambeth

Rustystud,

I have found that Midway sells the Wyatt center feed box for about $42.00. My question is how difficult is it to install this box in a Remington 700? I would appreciate any advise.

Be advised Kevin Wyatt makes two different centerfeed mag boxes for the short actions.

The old centerfeed magazine boxes are made of stainless steel. They do not hold their shape.

The new centerfeed magazine boxes are made of 4130 CM and are heat treated. I am told they will hold their shape and work well with the WSM.

If midway does not have the new heat treated CM mag box then order them direct from Wyatt Outdooors.

I have 3 of them that I am preparing to install on customers guns. The install is pretty self explainatory.

Nat Lambeth

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.