Feeding problem

winmagman

I need a little help from the gunsmiths here. I've got a 6.5-284 win. that I can't get to feed quite right. And since my second mag. box and spring just got here from Midway I thought I'd seek some advice before ruining another mag. or breaking another spring.

With the fist mag. box I could get the first and second round I put in the mag. to feed fine, if I put a third one in (first out) it "jumps" out of the mag. after the bolt has moved it forward about 1", this lets the second round out bind on the bolt stopping its forward progress.

Now I've been told that this caliber can be tough to get to feed and that I might have to stone the feed rails, unfortunatly I'm not a gunsmith so I am not even sure what a feed rail is. I assume (I know, I know)they are located on the reciever below the bolt and above the mag. box, but since it already appears the third round isn't being held in the mag. long enough already I'm a little reluctant to start taking off any metal on the reciever.
Any body have any ideas or home remedies I can try.
Thanks in advance
Chris

If it's on a 700, use a 30-06 mag box and a magnum follower. When I build one from scratch that's how I do it and they feed slick as a whistle.

Just curious, Chris... do you prefer the set up you spoke of over Wyatt's center feed box?

Side note - You haven't got another A5 laying around you're willing to part with do you?

Mr. Matthews, your a genius.
The magnum follower for my 6.5-284 arrived today, popped it in and now she feeds beautifully. After all that messing around with the mag. box and the fix was that simple. Incredible.
Thanks a million.
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.