280 AI (again)

yep nice target for sure, but what is the deal with the brass/chambers etc. did you get that ironed out and please tell.

Idahoorion

I don't know what the issue is.... I have several handloaded 280 Rem loads. Different lots loaded at different times. All fired brass. I found about 40 in one lot that chamber in the Dakota without issue so I am fire forming those.

Dakota advised that they use Nosler brass. They full length resize with the older dies that are Ackley spec. I full length resized some virgin Nosler brass in my Ackley spec Redding dies. They chamber without issue. This should have made the Nosler saami spec brass longer and avoid the head space (dangerous) issue that some believe exists.

Ive been loading for about 15 years but never ran into the problems I have trying to get this Dakota up and running..... seems like I am getting there.

Need to try some Nosler 150 AB Long range. If they shoot this good then Ill be set.

I full length resized some virgin Nosler brass in my Ackley spec Redding dies. They chamber without issue. This should have made the Nosler saami spec brass longer and avoid the head space (dangerous) issue that some believe exists.

Virgin Nosler brass will have lots of headspace. If you "full length" resize virgin brass you are not sizing the case body or pushing the shoulder back, you are only sizing the neck. Virgin cases are made small to fit in any chamber they are made for. The die will not contact the body or be set low enough to push the shoulder back.

I don't know what the issue is.... I have several handloaded 280 Rem loads. Different lots loaded at different times. All fired brass. I found about 40 in one lot that chamber in the Dakota without issue so I am fire forming those.

Dakota advised that they use Nosler brass. They full length resize with the older dies that are Ackley spec. I full length resized some virgin Nosler brass in my Ackley spec Redding dies. They chamber without issue. This should have made the Nosler saami spec brass longer and avoid the head space (dangerous) issue that some believe exists.

Ive been loading for about 15 years but never ran into the problems I have trying to get this Dakota up and running..... seems like I am getting there.

Need to try some Nosler 150 AB Long range. If they shoot this good then Ill be set.

Glad your making progress.

Virgin Nosler brass will have lots of headspace. If you "full length" resize virgin brass you are not sizing the case body or pushing the shoulder back, you are only sizing the neck. Virgin cases are made small to fit in any chamber they are made for. The die will not contact the body or be set low enough to push the shoulder back.

Thanks for the explanation. Even more reason for me to be excited about the .272 group. I don't really know what I'm talking about but the group I shot has put a smile on my face since yesterday. Thanks to folks on the forum we have access to correct info. Keep it coming.

yes thanks for the heads up, and glad to hear you are making progress, when you fire form do you have to have the bullets in the lands or do you just shoot regular 280 stuff, and does the current fire forming fill out those shoulders? not rounded like the first pics.

thanks
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.