280 Ackley bullet

Trentcamp

So I finally fulfilled a lifelong dream of going somewhere else and hunting something other than the great eastern whitetail. Went to southwest Colorado on my first elk hunt with a great group of guys and had a blast. Definitely going back. Bought a Kimber 84L in 280 Ackley (3-4 year dream) just before the hunt and threw together a quick load with a 145 Barnes LRX over Reloader 19 and figured it would do the trick. In a hurry as I didn't have much time for load development. Now that I do should I go to a heavier bullet. Shots will probably be limited to 500 yds or so. What have you guys used that works. Ballistics charts give the edge to the lighter faster bullets to 500 so I'm unsure what to do. Thanks in advance

What is the twist and length of your barrel, what do you intend to hunt with it and what distance are you comfortable taking game at? Will you be shooting factory ammo or reloads

I and one of my sons have been shooting a 280AI for many years. It's as good of a non magnum cartridge as you can get in my opinion. Never have felt I needed more powder.

It's a factory Kimber 84L. 24" tube 9" twist. Shoot handloads. I try not to polute my barrels with factory ammo lol. Mainly a whitetail hunter with I hope a elk trip every year. I shoot 140 partition or ballistic tips for whitetail. My question is should I shoot a heavier bullet for elk. Shots will be limited to 500 yds or so. Finding a place to practice in wv farther than that is tricky. J

Nothing wrong with a 140 gr partition. With a 9" twist you could go all the way up to a 180 gr but seeing that most of your use will be on deer and an occasional elk I would lean towards trying the 150 gr. ELD-X or the 168 Berger - it all depends on what kind of bullet performance you prefer.

The 140 gr partition would be very adequate though - I tend to shoot the largest bullet that my rifles can handle to get max BC - the wind here in my part of the world blows 364 days per year.

Nothing wrong with a 140 gr partition. With a 9" twist you could go all the way up to a 180 gr but seeing that most of your use will be on deer and an occasional elk I would lean towards trying the 150 gr. ELD-X or the 168 Berger - it all depends on what kind of bullet performance you prefer.

The 140 gr partition would be very adequate though - I tend to shoot the largest bullet that my rifles can handle to get max BC - the wind here in my part of the world blows 364 days per year.

I agree on the heavier bullets. My 1:10 twist, 24" bbl custom 280AI shoots 168 VLDs at 2975 fps with 59 grains MRP and shoots below 1/4 MOA.

Attachments

• IMG_1786.JPG
    IMG_1786.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 113
We have run our 155's through a 9 twist 28" 7mm Rem Mag at close to 3150 fps. (Only reason we ran the 155's is cause we were hunting above 5000' elev). I would think in the 280 Ackley, you could run our 143's which are designed for 9 twist at (sea level) at 3100 fps and take anything in N. America up to 600 yards well within your 500 yard goal.

+1 for the 160 Accubond. Thanks to some guys on this forum.....60 grains of RL26 shoots awesome in my 280AI.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.