280 rem for elk

Get you some Remington 150grn Core Lokts and practice with them. I have used them and the Federal Premium ammo with the Nosler 140grn Accubonds.
I reload for every gun I have but my Encore 280 shoots the Core Lokts as good as any reload I can make. I took a large 5x5 bull with my 280 and the 150grn Core Lokts last December at 292 yds. One shot and he took about 5 steps and dropped.
My neighbor used the same load and rifle and took a 500lb cow elk with one shot at 205 yds. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot a elk with my rifle and load out to 500 yds.
I really like the Accubond but I shoot the Berger VLD Hunter more in my single shot pistols for game.
Good luck with your choice and your hunt.

Mike

thanks guys well i have had my 280 for three weeks now only got to shoot
one box of shells threw it so far. At 100 yards i put four shots the size of a quarter
for me thats good (no bench) its a rem.700 cdl stainless with a fluted 24in barrel its
a limited edition wood stock love it

Craneman

I too just picked up the same exact rifle. When they came out with it; I just had to have one. This is my is my second, the first is a standard cdl in 280. Honestly, I would try the scirocco II bullet. It is 150gr with a real good bc and should hold real well when hitting heavy muscle and bone. It is kinda splitting the difference. My .02.

For the 280 take a look at the 154gr Hornady Interbond. I'm going to be loading some rounds for a friend to test at the North Country Shooting Association Rifle Range on the Pala Indian Reservation. In running ballistic data on my NF Ballistic program the 154grIB maintains good trajectory and foot pounds of energy, with great wind stability.

Gonzo

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts