270 WSM rebarreled to something more efficient?

Keep it 270 wsm it's more then efficient compared to the 270/300 w/mag or the 270 Bee (WBY) but get that 1/8 twist 26 inch bbl , hint Krieger ,Brux, or Bartlien , your choice of gunsmith is Most important of all ,Call Bigngreen ,0r read his Posts then call him .why under power your self, or pay more all for a whole new brass n reloading setup ,cheers !

7mm-270WSM is a popular F Class round (so presumably very accurate).
I think it has a longer neck than the 7mm WSM (only 0.243") and a shorter body, which allows longer high BC 7mm bullets.
This way you could re-form your old brass...?

I am not familiar with the 7mm-270WSM. Is this an over-the-counter round or does one have to reload for it? The OP said that he doesn't reload. Do you think that 7mmWSM would make a better round for him if he wanted to change so another caliber/cartridge>

Sorry - you're right. The 7mm 270WSM is definitely a reloading cartridge - but a simple one (just expand the neck to 7mm).
The issue with the 7mm WSM case is that Winchester lengthened the body (1.70") compared to the 300WSM & 270WSM (1.66"), but kept the case length (2.10") & COAL (2.86") the same, so it's not great for long high BC bullets within magazine length.

I suspect that for loaded ammunition a new 270WSM with the optimum barrel twist and throat length would be his best bet. 270 bullet options are getting better every year.

I'm assuming you reload? If you want efficiency, then one of the Sherman Shortmags would be perfect. 6.5, .270, 7mm, 300, or 338, any of them would work.

6.5 - 140 ~ 3250 fps
I am not saying this isn't possible, but that is really leaning hard on a 6.5SS. 3120-3180 is more realistic if you want brass and barrels to last.
I have had the 140s up to 3210 in my 26" 1:8" 6.5SS, and a 150 SMK to 3165fps, but it was a really hot load.

I feel like it's a pretty tough choice going away from the 270. Wsm. Your already familiar with it, set up for it and with a fast twist bbl it will compete with the 6.5's and 7's, plus being a bit more unique! I have plans on a 270. Wsm build just trying to figure out how to do it

I am not saying this isn't possible, but that is really leaning hard on a 6.5SS. 3120-3180 is more realistic if you want brass and barrels to last.
I have had the 140s up to 3210 in my 26" 1:8" 6.5SS, and a 150 SMK to 3165fps, but it was a really hot load.
I was just going from memory, I thought I had seen some getting close to 3300 with the 140's, sounds like that isn't the case. My info wasn't really very relevant to this thread anyway though, we found out a few posts later that the O.P. doesn't reload.

I was just going from memory, I thought I had seen some getting close to 3300 with the 140's, sounds like that isn't the case. My info wasn't really very relevant to this thread anyway though, we found out a few posts later that the O.P. doesn't reload.
Which is a bummer. Really opens up the options.
I would say 7SAUM Or 7WSM in that case.

Northkill,

I have a fair amount of experience with most of the cartridges recommended by other people in this thread and I doubt you'll improve the performance of the 270WSM enough to make even a whit of difference to game or on paper.

I strongly suggest you just have a faster twist barrel that is 26" long made to get that extra bit of velocity and if that all saves you money then spend it on getting a suppressor for that barrel because the only 270WSM's I've ever fired or are familiar with have a pretty wild sound signature.

Just one man's opinion after over 50yrs of hunting, shooting, and handloading.

Northkill,

I have a fair amount of experience with most of the cartridges recommended by other people in this thread and I doubt you'll improve the performance of the 270WSM enough to make even a whit of difference to game or on paper.

I strongly suggest you just have a faster twist barrel that is 26" long made to get that extra bit of velocity and if that all saves you money then spend it on getting a suppressor for that barrel because the only 270WSM's I've ever fired or are familiar with have a pretty wild sound signature.

Just one man's opinion after over 50yrs of hunting, shooting, and handloading.

"I doubt you'll improve the performance of the 270WSM enough to make even a whit of difference to game or on paper."
Exactly what I have been saying in many replies in other threads, including to this post. Compare the ballistics of the new cartridge that you are considering with the one that you already have to determine if even it is worth the effort to change; what is the gain going to be??

I just built a .270 Ackley Improved, didn't do the build because it was the best choice for the cartridge, it was because I wanted something different, wildcat, and wanted to play with a "wildcat" and nothing more. A better and more sensible build would have been the .270WSM. The performance of the two cartridges are just about the same, and if one were to compare the two, the .270AI "might", "might" be a little faster, but......really not worth the time/work/expense (close to $500 for dies/setup) put in to the build! And.....as an afterthought, if I were to do the builds again I would in all likelihood build the .270WSM instead of the .270AI!

I'm considered "ole school", and I don't think this is meant to be a compliment either. I like the original/old cartridges because I believe that they are as efficient or almost as efficient as the "new" designer cartridges; .270 Winchester, 7mm RemMag, .308 Winchester, 30-06, .300WinMag, .358 Winchester, .35 Whelen. If one were to objectively compare these cartridges to the latest, designer, cartridges that everyone is writing/touting about there's not that much difference between the new designer cartridges than the "ole school ones" in most cases; and, I suspect that there are many who will disagree with this statement. Marketing "hype" doesn't improve cartridge performance, it only improves cartridge sales!! A perfect example of this hype sit the newest, greatest, long-range cartridge, the .280 Ackley Improved; and, this is an "ole school" cartridge resurrected from the past. For the longest period it was promoted in all the media, hunting magazines, now the newest, greatest, long-range cartridge is the 6.5 Creedmore. Before you know it this cartridge too will be forgotten/replaced with the newest greatest cartridge.

Based upon all the variables that you have listed here, I believe that keeping the .270WSM, built with quality components, with a 26 inch barrel is the most sensible choice you could make. End of dissertation!!

I appreciate all the respectful advice. I realize that "more efficient" is rather relative. This comment was based on my 10 twist barrel which restricts me to lighter for caliber options. I had tried the 150 Bergers, but they didn't seem to work with my twist and altitude (500').

I've decided to simply go with a new barrel maybe a 7.5 or 8 twist to accommodate the 170 EOL's and the 156g Hammer Hunters.

This raises a few more questions for lack of personal experience:

1) Since I already have the carbon barrel, I'd prefer to stick with something similar (& 24") due to its use as a mountain rifle/long-range combination. Fierce is the only company I found that would do the custom twist that I want. Any experience or thoughts on their carbon barrels?

2) With so much of a faster twist, what will happen if I push something lighter like the 145 ELD-X at 3200 fps like I am now?

3) Any experience with this caliber to give me an idea of what velocity I can expect for the heavier bullets I mentioned above?

One more thing, I don't personally reload at this point, but I do have several options for load development. Obviously, with what I'm aiming to do, custom loads is the only option. I'm not opposed to that, but I prefer to stay with standard readily available casings that do not need forming.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts