270 WSM rebarreled to something more efficient?

Northkill

Our 270 WSM seems to be coming to the end of its top-performance barrel life. (Christensen Arms Carbon Classic) It was a great rifle that shot well for us and harvested a lot of game over the years. I was considering changing it to something more efficient but would like to use the same action if possible. Any wisdom and experience to lean into this? 6.5 WSM? 6.5 SAUM? 7MM WSM with faster twist for 180's?

I'm assuming you reload? If you want efficiency, then one of the Sherman Shortmags would be perfect. 6.5, .270, 7mm, 300, or 338, any of them would work.

6.5 - 140 ~ 3250 fps
.270 - 170 ~ 3000 fps
7mm - 180 ~ 3000 fps
300 - 215 ~ 2950 fps
338 - 250 ~ 2800 fps

Pick your poison. If you don't want to go that route, there is nothing wrong with rebarreling to another .270 WSM since your already set for it, just this time give it an 8 twist and shoot the 170's if you want to get the best long range ballistics out of it.

At this point I'm not set up to reload. Once I can back away from some of my work obligations, I want to do that. As of now, we get that done by Copper Creek. Lots of good ideas here :) maybe more to come…? Thanks a lot

I'm assuming you reload? If you want efficiency, then one of the Sherman Shortmags would be perfect. 6.5, .270, 7mm, 300, or 338, any of them would work.

6.5 - 140 ~ 3250 fps
.270 - 170 ~ 3000 fps
7mm - 180 ~ 3000 fps
300 - 215 ~ 2950 fps
338 - 250 ~ 2800 fps

Pick your poison. If you don't want to go that route, there is nothing wrong with rebarreling to another .270 WSM since your already set for it, just this time give it an 8 twist and shoot the 170's if you want to get the best long range ballistics out of it.
The 170's sound interesting. Anyone on here have experience with them in a 270 WSM? What kind of velocity can be expected? OK with a 24 inch barrel? Mag length required?

The 170's sound interesting. Anyone on here have experience with them in a 270 WSM? What kind of velocity can be expected? OK with a 24 inch barrel? Mag length required?
In a WSM the 170 would need a decently long box, but a smith could always install a bainey 3.1" box for ya. Performance would be awesome. But, I don't know of any factory ammo loaded in it.

Best factory ammo option may likely be a 300 WSM. Followed by either a 7mm WSM or SAUM. WSM will give better performance, but not a huge margin.

The information shared is very helpful. And I appreciate the tone of this thread. I have a lot to work from to begin my research and decision making :)

You all stay safe where you are today and let's all be a positive force for good in a society that is struggling with fear and violence… God bless

The information shared is very helpful. And I appreciate the tone of this thread. I have a lot to work from to begin my research and decision making :)

You all stay safe where you are today and let's all be a positive force for good in a society that is struggling with fear and violence… God bless

Amen!

Feenix as far as getting matrix bullets it shouldn't be much longer. I'm in Canada and the previous owner has sold matrix bullets. He told me that they will be available in the U.S. under new ownership.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.