270 WSM rebarreled to something more efficient?

I agree, re-barrel to what you have going since it has a proven track record in your hands...

I have a new custom built 6.5 A-square that is set up for hunting only,,, alot like my 30/06 long throat Sherman... Both are proven tack drivers...

My plinking and fun to shoot off season rifle is my custom 16 lb FTR/ PRS unit that can also be used in on the hunting grounds...
Barrel life is 2 X's that of my hunting units,,, kinda like a win win...

Keep the critter getter's as they are and enjoy the off season with something that last and produces less flash-burn...

3 main units will fill my needs for years to follow...

Hunting drivers for hunting,,, and target plinking / predator control unit for the other 80 to 90% of the good times...

Just an idea is all

Good luck finding what works...

I'm interested in the Matrix bullets offerings. I went to their site (which is up) but none of the bullet pages are loading (404 errors)

What's the scoop on this company? I see above that they were rebought?

I believe they are working on getting the website back up and running. That's what I was told about two weeks ago.

Our 270 WSM seems to be coming to the end of its top-performance barrel life. (Christensen Arms Carbon Classic) It was a great rifle that shot well for us and harvested a lot of game over the years. I was considering changing it to something more efficient but would like to use the same action if possible.

'Changing to something more efficient'.

I suggest you define 'more efficient' before just throwing around other cartridges to try. Do you think the .270 WSM is an inefficient cartridge and if yes, why?

What are the traits and variables you think need to be more efficient?

Stay with the 270 wsm and throw that efficiency word and thought out the window.
I thought the wsm line was developed because of it efficiency the whole shorter fatter powder column idea. I've owned one since 2009 ish and loved every shot it shoots plenty good not a lot of recoil and on game performance is great . Although the 130 gr sst that mine likes are a little rough on meat if you shoot center of the shoulder. But everything has been bang flop no tracking necessary.

In my opinion the .270WSM is a tough round to beat as far as performance/accuracy/efficiency, and......that also depends on what the distances are that you would like to shoot and what game you intend to shoot with. Put a 26 inch barrel on the rifle that you already have, that cartridge has a lot of good qualities, especially if you do not reload and have to rely on over-the-counter ammunition. You will get all kinds of responses for different cartridges due to various opinions and preferences. I suggest that you conduct your own research, compare different cartridges to the .270WSM to to measure/measure how much gain your are going to get over what you already have. Rebarrel with a quality 26 inch barrel, blueprint your action and enjoy the cartridge.

My main hunting rifle is a Tikka t3 Lite in 270WSM.I bought a long magazine and long bolt stop so I can seat the bullets further out.The 140 Berger VLD Hunter shoots great out to 500 yards.I do not have access to a longer range around here so do not know how it performs further out.I have had quite a few bang flops on Mule deer out to 400 yards using this set up in a McMillan Sako Hunter stock.I use Magnum Powder and a Federal mag primer.If I had to rebarrel it would be a 270WSM with a faster twist.

Our 270 WSM seems to be coming to the end of its top-performance barrel life. (Christensen Arms Carbon Classic) It was a great rifle that shot well for us and harvested a lot of game over the years. I was considering changing it to something more efficient but would like to use the same action if possible. Any wisdom and experience to lean into this? 6.5 WSM? 6.5 SAUM? 7MM WSM with faster twist for 180's?
I would go for more versatility. I would rebarrel it in 270 WSM again this time 1:8" twist so you could launch the heavy slugs by Berger and Barnes. I own two 270 WSM's and would never give up the cartridge. it is way too good. the 6.5's do not thrill me and 7MM well it's only 0.007" bigger and if you think about it they are basically the same slug. I have plans to rebarrel my Win 70 in 270 WSM to a 1:8" twist barrel. so that I can shoot the heavier slugs. my Kimber 270 WSM is just too accurate to mess with and it is nearly new. I would never improve on the nearly perfect 270 WSM. Oh, I can see the hate posts and the huge disagreements with my opinions. I reckon the sherman short mags must be good for something.. not sure for what yet.
later tatters.

I just went through the same exercise. One of my 270 wsm's needed rebarrelling. I hand load. I wanted to stay in the wsm line and was considering the 6.5 wsm, 7 wsm, 7x300wsm and 300 wsm. I finally went with the 7 wsm. It has a little larger case capacity than the other wsm's and there is head stamped brass available which helps me avoid bad screws ups.

I have always liked the 7s for long and short range deer and elk cartridges. They carry well hit hard and are fairly easy on shooters.

I did make sure of the availability of brass and dies before deciding on the barrel. I found loaded ammo and picked up one box for barrel break in.

I have about 50 rounds down the barrel and have found it easy to reload with lots of bullet options compared to the 270. My maximum loads are fast with no signs of pressure. I could probably push harder if needed. The barrel is a 24" bartelien #2 contour, with a 9.5 twist. I focused on bullets in the 160 - 170 gr range. The factory 150 grain barrel break in loads chronnied out at 3250 fps. As a note, I did not like the concentricity of factory loads, and it is not plentiful. I took 165 grain sierra game changers up over 3100 fps with rl 26, then backed down to a node at 3050 fps. I'm a couple grains below published Alliant powder maximum loads.

I have not gotten to the tune up stage yet, but preliminary accuracy is in the range of 0.6 - 0.8 moa.
Recoil is heavier than the 270wsm but manageable.
If I were doing it again I would make sure the lans were cut to accommodate the longest loaded round I could run through the short action magazine. The bullets set deep in the case, compressing slow powders and reducing case capacity. The 270 wsm with 140 bullets does not suffer this fate to the same extent.

Hope that helps, good luck.

I would go for more versatility. I would rebarrel it in 270 WSM again this time 1:8" twist so you could launch the heavy slugs by Berger and Barnes. I own two 270 WSM's and would never give up the cartridge. it is way too good. the 6.5's do not thrill me and 7MM well it's only 0.007" bigger and if you think about it they are basically the same slug. I have plans to rebarrel my Win 70 in 270 WSM to a 1:8" twist barrel. so that I can shoot the heavier slugs. my Kimber 270 WSM is just too accurate to mess with and it is nearly new. I would never improve on the nearly perfect 270 WSM. Oh, I can see the hate posts and the huge disagreements with my opinions. I reckon the sherman short mags must be good for something.. not sure for what yet.
later tatters.

I agree, get the same cartridge but with a 1 in 8 and let them heavies fly. You already have and now this cartridge and it is a great one.

Me personally as far as the short and fat magnums I would get a 7mm SAUM, I've seen it at work and love it, but thats me, I'm a 7mm guy. But I also have seen and know the performance of the 270 and it is a great cartridge, its great for deer, antelope and up to elk

7mm-270WSM is a popular F Class round (so presumably very accurate).
I think it has a longer neck than the 7mm WSM (only 0.243") and a shorter body, which allows longer high BC 7mm bullets.
This way you could re-form your old brass...?

Our 270 WSM seems to be coming to the end of its top-performance barrel life. (Christensen Arms Carbon Classic) It was a great rifle that shot well for us and harvested a lot of game over the years. I was considering changing it to something more efficient but would like to use the same action if possible. Any wisdom and experience to lean into this? 6.5 WSM? 6.5 SAUM? 7MM WSM with faster twist for 180's?
What are you hunting, and at what range?
If you're after deer and elk within 600 yards I'd go 6.5 PRC, it has very good and affordable factory LR ammo.

If you're planning on shooting elk sized game further out, and plan on handloading, I'd go 7 SAUM or 7WSM throated for 180 ELDM's/Berger VLD's.
The SAUM is more efficient and has better brass options (ADG)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.