270 Winchester, 6.5-06, or 25-06 Fast Twist Deer Rifle

not sure what debate there is.

if you can get components for any of it, then choose one and roll with it. everything listed will kill anything in NA.

that's why i put together a 270win throated for the 170gr EOL. i got a bunch of 170gr EOL, and 165gr ABLR. i went 1:8 as i didn't have plan to shoot the heavy hammer bullets. wish i did though. will be working up a load for the 165gr ABLR after the 170gr load gets where i want it.

I like the 270 win the only issue is some of the worst blood shoot bucks I've seen were shot with a 270. Good luck, any of the cartridge you picked will work.

I like the 270 win the only issue is some of the worst blood shoot bucks I've seen were shot with a 270. Good luck, any of the cartridge you picked will work.
Blood shot Meat comes from,.. very HIGH Velocity and, a SOFT Bullet ( seen it myself, W/ .264 Win Mag's )
Neither, the 165 Sierra's or, 170 EOL Bergers are,. "Soft" and the Velocity is NOT,.. crazy, Fast.
I shoot a .270 WSM with, 140 Berger, Classic Hunters at, slightly under, 3,200 FPS and Blew thru, BOTH Shoulders of an Elk last Oct. and had, very Little, Meat loss ( They ARE, way TOUGHER than, I ever, thought ! ).

Blood shot Meat comes from,.. very HIGH Velocity and, a SOFT Bullet ( seen it myself, W/ .264 Win Mag's )
Neither, the 165 Sierra's or, 170 EOL Bergers are,. "Soft" and the Velocity is NOT,.. crazy, Fast.
I shoot a .270 WSM with, 140 Berger, Classic Hunters at, slightly under, 3,200 FPS and Blew thru, BOTH Shoulders of an Elk last Oct. and had, very Little, Meat loss ( They ARE, way TOUGHER than, I ever, thought ! ).
I can only partly agree haha. I do agree…but drive a "hard" bullet fast enough and it'll bloodshot meat too. 120 Barnes tac tx at 4050 fps…does some damage. What I feel is that a few bloodshot ribs or even a front shoulder isn't a big deal to me. Better to cut off MAYBE a pound or two of bloodshot meat on a recovered animal than lose one or have it run off so far you can't find it.

Losing a Pound or, Two is,.. NOTHING
The damage that, I've seen, was LOSING almost, the Whole front Shoulder of, an Antelope or, Deer, with,.. Huge, Craters !
7 MM Rem Mag with, Fact. Win. 140's / .264 Mag's with Cheap Factory SOFT Point, 140's,.. YIKES !
Now, I'm a Fan of, Berger,.. H-VLD's, Classic's, Elite's, Hornady's ELD-X's and always, the Partition !

Last edited:
Losing a Pound or, Two is,.. NOTHING
The Chit I've seen, was LOSING almost, the Whole front Shoulder of, an Antelope or, Deer ( Huge, Craters ! ).
7 MM Rem Mag with, Fact. Win. 140's / .264 Mag's with Cheap Factory SOFT Point, 140's,.. YIKES !
Yeah I've done that too…honestly not that much meat on the front end as people make it out to be….but I'll never forget the time I Botched the shot and shot a buck RIGHT THROUGH THE BACKSTRAPS 😭😭😭😭😭. Spined him too, didn't lose the animal but man was i FURIOUS with myself.

The one I saw was with 140's, and it was a tougher bullet. But a sample of one so I won't name the bullet. It ruined both front quarters and part of the backstraps. Glad to hear the 140 Bergers act pretty well.

6.5-06 and I'm a 270 man. So many more bullet options.
Yup a 6.5 or 7mm would have more bullet options. 6.5-06 is fine but you'd need to either trim 270 win down or size up 25-06. I'd rather size down but I hate trimming brass. Which is why I said 6.5-284, it's the easy button. It'll work with any long action. A 270 win I'd probably want a longer magbox, like in a Rem 700.