25-06 needs new bbl - 25-06, 6.5x284, or 6.5-06

jlamb

All,

My 25-06 barrel is pretty worn out. It's been handed down twice. It shoots 87 grain bullets grain but anything above just will not work. Now I'm going to get it rebarrelled. The question is if I want to keep it a 25-06 or not. Below is what I'm considering:

• 25-06 w/ 1 in 8" twist
  • 6.5-06 w/ 1 in 8" twist
  • 6.5x284 w/ 1 in 8" twist
Opinions?

Jason

i woulld get 6.5-284. a 1-10 twist is fine for the 25-06 if that is what you choose.. no bullets are made that require more than that ( that i know of any way)

The use would be target/long range hunting (heavy target and heavy hunting bullets)

For the 25-06 I ran the Miller Stability on a 1 in 10" twist using 117 grain bullets. The resulti is 1.58 (should be 1.2 under the worst conditions). I also spoke with two gunsmiths locally, both said to get a 1 in 8" on a 25-06 to shoot 117's. Shilen also suggests this on their barrels.

I'm just wondering if anybody has shot and reloaded for the calibers.

Wildcat bullets may not currently be producing their heavy 25cal bullets, but they have said that they are working on ramping up their production capacity. So, I am hopeful that they will start making bullets other than just 7mm soonish!

I am betting he is hoping to use such bullets soonish. As for the twist, I would ask either Wildcat Bullets, or perhaps Fiftydriver what twist would tend to work best for a 25. For some reason 1-9" is stuck in my brain, but don't quote me on that.

Have you considered a 25-06 AI? They are actually pretty nice. Since you are already setup for 25 it would make sense. The good thing is, you could still use off the shelf ammo if you had to in your AI. So, it would not be "too specialized" to be truly useful as a Go-To-Take-To hunting weapon.

Have a good one,
Gary

I will second that, 10 twist is all you will ever need, works fine with anything from 75 grain to 120 grain, 6.5x284 is probably your best bet, 8 or 8.5 twist, 130 swift scirocco loaded long can keep up with 264 win mag, its not the most barrel friendly round though.

I just ran the JBM ballistics Stability on the 115gr Barnes, which happens to be the longest full production bullet that I know of. The result was that a 9 twist barrel should stabilize it pretty well all the way down to below freezing @ sea level.

For the really heavy bullets such as the Wildcats, I am not sure what they recommend. I know of a couple peeps who shoot the 25-06AI who have a 9 twist barrel and they seem to do ok, but then they are using Barnes, Berger, or Hornady for the most part too.

Anyhow, it should be interesting to see how it all shapes up!

Gary

sorry - i have a bdl varmint and a sendero in 2506. my son- in law shoots them and loads for them. mostly the 115 berger. and he has had no problems and has won some matches with them against customs and savages . i did not know of any longer bullets . i do load for two 6.5-284s and over the past 3 years have shot a deer and won some matches with them. mine are both 1-8.5. i shoot the 139 scenar in matches and the 120 baltip for hunting. ope this hepls roninflag.

Went through the same process last summer.

I chose the 6.5-06.

But the 25-06 is awesome and if I was to go that route I would do the 8 twist as I had difficulty getting one ragged hole with them with 10 twist...

Perhaps it was me or something else but I think the Smiths are advising you well.

I have had a number of 25-06's over the years and I have never had any problems with 10 twist and 117 to 120 gr bullets.

If you want to shoot really long range, over 600 yards, at targets and especially game go with one of the 6.5's. You have a better bullet selection and much more retained energy way out there than with any .257 .

Just remember the faster you push those 6.5 bullets the less barrel life you will get. I would take a long look at the 6.5X55 or the AI version. They will give you the velocity you need for 1000 yard accuracy and the barrel will last a lot longer than a 6.5-284 and game will will not know the difference between them. You will be cranking on the scope for either of them so what is a couple clicks.

I would do the 6.5-06 for barrel life alone! The 25-06 is a little overbore, but not great, and the 6.5-06 is close to perfect. The 6.5/284 is a real barrel burner (less than 800 rounds is normal), and really dosn't shoot anybetter than the other. You also might want to think about the 6.5x57AI. It's nothing but a .257AI necked up to 6.5 (or a 7x57necked down). Ballistics are very close to the 6.5-06, but in a shorter case. Thus giving you much more room in the magazine for longer bullets seated way out.
gary

So why would you consider the 6.5x284 a real barrel burner, but the 6.5-06 near perfect? Case capacity and velocity is virtually identical on these rounds....I'm a little confused over that one...

To the OP, I've got both 25-06 and 6.5-06AI. Either works great depending on the intended use. For long range, the edge goes to the 6.5 due to heavier, long for caliber bullets with high BCs at good velocities. For inside 400 yards, no real advantage unless you're going for bigger critters, and then more gun than either would probably be advised. If you're set up for 25-06 and like it, keep it. If you want to try one of the others, go for it! That's half the fun of this sport, anyway, isn't it???

Have fun,
Brian

my 6.5-284 f-class rifle has 1150 through it . shot a 591 last time. have had a barrel in the closet waiting for over a year; the original is still going strong.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts